The Lord of the Rings Statue 1/6 Ringwraith of Mordor (Classic Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finarfin View Post
    Personally I don't see any difference between these statues and the rest of the 1/6 statues Weta has produced over the years. Yes, they have "simple" poses and small bases but most of the Weta statues over the years have had simple poses and small bases.
    And if they will be priced around $399, not very cheap either. I expected something in the 250-300 region.

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post

And if they will be priced around $399, not very cheap either. I expected something in the 250-300 region.
      Yeah, it seems they are really 2 more additions to the 1/6 line, definitely cheaper than the likes of mounted figures but not very cheap either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dcole4 View Post
        I think people really confused what Dan said, he said there was a MC and Premium 1:6 reveal plus two cheaper statues. These two are simpler, cheaper statues. They will probably be priced in line with stuff like Grishnahk and Tauriel. I think he just meant to say that they won't just be revealing crazy expensive stuff.

People have also confused the fact that WETA is launching a NEW line separate from the 1:6 line, so very likely a different scale and material. He said it was similar in that it would likely appeal to those who collect the statues (moreso than the mini epics which are for a specific audience.)

these are regular 1:6 pieces, and will be priced as such I imagine
        This is exactly how I see it. If there is a difference, they'll label it as a 'classic' line to stick to simple poses, and perhaps keep them all as open edition.

Comment

Love this one!

Comment

Originally posted by DD View Post

Not so loud. HeraldElrond might hear you and he didn't pre-order the new wiki vs Frodo.

Oh well, I've got my hopes up for a premium cave troll with a moria orc now. If that happens all disappointment at not ordering WK v Frodo will be gone. Mostly...

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post

I was even more optimistic, I was hoping for like the 200-250 range (USD). HA, I'm dumb.

Comment

Again like Gandalf I really think this is awesome looking. Just a superb looking statue. I love that for the first time we get a Nazgul by himself from Weta in a pose obviously from Weathertop as well to go with the Witch-king/Frodo statue. That being said I will also be passing on this one as well. I’ve got plenty of Nazguls in my collection.

Comment

Dan posted the following:

Posted on March 8th:

Let's blow some dust off this thread! Hi friends! Happy 2020!

Sorry for not having been here much recently. I like to jump in when I have good news to share or proper answers to give, but I have also been pulled in a few directions lately, so a few things have slipped, among them coming in to hang out with all of you. Apologies!

The good news is, given some time has elapsed since I was last here, I have a decent chunk of news for you. Time to spill some hints and hopefully fulfil some requests.

First up, one of the burning questions that I’ve received over the last couple of years concerns the future of the 1:30 scale line. Being completely upfront with you, this range has posed some challenges for us. We like it and have always wanted to do more, but the sums have been challenging for us to make work. As a consequence, the 1:30th range has been parked for the last couple of years. We’re currently in the middle of another reassessment phase and 1:30th is one of the subjects that we are actively looking at again in the hopes that we can find a creative new way to do more. It’s early days and I can make no promises as we haven’t cracked it yet, but I wanted to assure 1:30th scale fans that we will be doing our best to try to find a way forward. It’s my hope that we may have some clarity one way or the other towards the end of May. We know that we owe you all an answer! There are pieces currently missing from the Dol Guldur selection, which we would very much like to bring out, and we think there are other subjects that could be winners at this scale, but if you have particular requests we’d love to hear them. Your suggestions and most desired subjects may help steer us as we look for solutions and formats that will help us restart this range, so don’t be shy.

If that’s a ‘definite maybe’ on 1:30th, what can I give you a heads-up on that is a 'definite yes’?

Lots!

This one will surprise no one, but I am pleased to announce we have a slew of new Hobbit Holes in the works, the first of which you’ll be seeing very soon. #5 Hill Lane, with its smaller base and freestanding waymeet accessory, was a big success, so the next one will be another in this style: on the smaller smial base and coming with an extra goody. I think it is even cuter, personally. Any guesses as to which it will be? Or what the extra piece is? Place your bets!

Following that release, we have a bunch more in various states of development, but there’s one in particular that I think should excite some of you, being soMething long expected. It wILL be on a special new base AND be larger in footprint than any of the previous smials. Technically, this one isn’t a hole at all, really, But it most ceRtainly belongs in the smIal range. Expect a proper Debut with some Good imagEs in the coming months.

We have other new environments in the works, too, but they’re a bit further off. Probably going to be 2021 for the next large environment.

We hit some hurdles with the development of our next few statues last year that has meant a few delayed unveilings, mostly due to the high standards we hold ourselves to. We had several statues in development which we intended to have shown you by now. You may have noticed that there has been a little bit of a gap since we last revealed a new statue in the 1/6th scale range. That was not intentional, but in each case we held back because we felt they could be improved with a little bit more time in development. You’ll be seeing some of those very soon, at San Diego Comic Con for sure, but possibly earlier, too, depending on how things go in the next few weeks.

One of those was the Witch-king and Frodo at Weathertop statue that attendees at San Diego in 2018 got to see being sculpted live by Jane Wenley. This piece has been through a few changes as we explored options, and we plan on sharing some of that story with you when we reveal the final collectible, soon.

We will also be continuing our Amon Hen theme. The horn of Gondor has been heard, and while it was a while ago that Boromir first blew it, beginning this sub-category, and Aragorn went rushing to his aid last year, he’s got more back-up on the way in 2020. The next statue will probably be a San Diego reveal, I reckon. I should be able to tell you more and maybe show you something closer to then, but I reckon you can probably narrow the candidates down to a couple just with that hint.

Making up for a quieter start to the year, you can look forward to a loud finish for 2020. The back half of this year will bring with it some massive reveals. We have a handful of very chunky statues in the works, some of which will hit this year and some next. Clear some space for these! Some will fall into the Master’s range, but there are also a couple of really big premium pieces as well. In fact, it is getting harder to really determine what distinguishes these categories.

And given 2021 is a significant anniversary year, I reckon folks might want to start saving because we aim to mark the occasion with some spectacular goodies. Don’t say I didn’t warm you!

But don’t worry, not everything will be huge or expensive. We are committed to making sure we make accessibly priced and sized statues as well, both at 1/6th scale and also with our mini statues. More of both are on the way. We’ll be revisiting some iconic characters that could use a refresh, and also hitting some new ones that deserve to be immortalised in polystone within given scales that might be new for them. I’ll drop some specific hints closer to when we’re ready to reveal these.

The diabolical genius Mauro Santini has been busy! While he has had lots of fun exploring other licenses, be assured that more Middle-earth Mini Epics are coming and the first of these will be revealed soon. One of them is a very large!

And speaking on vinyl, here’s something I hope will be a pleasant surprise to some of you. Do you remember years ago we showed an early prototype of a 1:10th scale vinyl Azog? There was a lot of interest, but in hindsight we probably went out a bit early with the pale Orc because we hadn’t figured out all of the manufacturing realities of that guy at the time. We have not been idle since then, so while it has taken us some time, and we have had to test the waters with some other intellectual properties first, we may have some fun stuff to share in this category soon. It won’t be Azog, but hopefully it’s something that is nonetheless interesting for folks looking for an alternative to high end 1/6th scale poly. Watch this space.

Any Dark Crystal fans in here?

Since the Netflix Age of Resistance show debuted last year we have been steadily debuting characters in a range of sizes, but until just recently they have all been preorder only. The good news is that the first few of these are now shipping and getting into the hands of collectors. And more will follow. We’ll be slowing down the releases a bit, now that we have most of the main characters ticked, but they should continue to trickle out at a steady rate this year.

Deet went up for preorder a week or two ago, and the next one we’ll be sharing will be our first Mystic, ur’Va, the Archer.

As always, if there are specific things you’d like to know more about, have questions, or there are things you think we should be doing, please tell us! Scanning back through the last few pages of this thread, I see a tonne of stuff being discussed that was actually already in development when you brought it up, which made me smile. But… there are also some awesome ideas in here that we hadn’t thought of, but thanks to this discussion are now in our plans for the future, so please know that we do listen and that you guys absolutely do influence our decision-making. As far as we’re concerned, making collectible statues for the films and other properties that we share a passion for should be a kind of conversation between us all as fans where we all chat excitedly together about the things we love. I apologise for having been a poor conversationalist as of late, so let’s make up for lost time!

Peace, friends! More very soon.

Posted on June 18:
                  Hey, Friends! The countdown is on till SDCC @Home, now only 1 month away! Can you believe it? Where does time go? Anyways, time to update you on stuff going on in Weta world.

You guys asked some good questions since I was last in here. Let me know if I have missed anything.

1:30th scale:
                  We continue to explore ways to finish what we started. Nothing definitive to report, yet, but know that we’re working on it. This year’s unprecedented events have thrown us a curve ball or two, so it might be a while before we have more news on these, but we have heard you all and know there’s an eagerness for more. It’s up to us to make the business end of it work.

Art prints based on Adam Middleton’s gorgeous Middle-earth location cutaways:
                  Adam’s artwork is so awesome. These were self-instigated passion projects for Adam, but we agree that they’re great and would love to be able to offer more of them as art prints or posters in future. There are no definitive plans that I can share today, but we have some ideas. Watch this space. Same goes for art prints in general.

I would love to do more books, including another volume of the Collectors’ Guide. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to do so. Thanks for the enthusiastic posts!

More from Gondor.
                  Yep, I hear ya. There are a number of concepts from Gondor in our parking lot. It is my hope that some of these will migrate across into the ‘happening’ list soon. I’m pushing for them!

Lots of great environment ideas suggested. Thank you! They all tally with stuff on my wish list, too. We have more environments in our plans beyond Hobbit holes. It’s too soon to say which ones, yet, but our current plan includes two new larger environments releasing in 2021.

The Witch-king and Frodo at Weathertop:
                  Thanks so much for all of the great feedback and reaction to the first BTS video. Our second one is almost ready to be shared, so I look forward to hearing what you all have to say. We have enjoyed doing this and aim to make more of this sort of material in future, so you can get a better look at what goes into making our collectibles. We have lots of ideas for different sorts of BTS content, but in the meantime, if you have any ideas for specific things you would like to see us share, please let us know. I hope you like the final statue, and thanks so much for your patience and enthusiasm!

Amon Hen themed statues:
                  Yep, the next release is being worked on as we speak. The amazing Lady Jane Wenley is sculpting this new collectible, but it won’t be ready for a Comic Con-timed reveal. Look for more news on this one later in the year.

Speaking of Comic Con, let’s talk July reveals!
                  We have a bunch of new goodies of different sorts to share during SDCC week. Look for announcements and debuts each day as well as some fun video content.

Our Middle-earth collectibles are drawn from both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, with the latter being the first of our 20th Anniversary celebration pieces. They will be shown this year but ship in 2021, the year that The Fellowship of the Ring turns twenty. We have big, big plans for the anniversaries, and what you’ll see this July is just the beginning.

Our Middle-earth July reveals will include a new Master’s Collection statue and Premium piece. Both are 1/6th scale and represent pieces that in the past we might have compromised on and shrunk. Not this year. In overall mass, the MC is our biggest ever 1/6th scale collectible, even dethroning Treebeard.

We know that not everyone has the space for giant statues, so debuting this year during SDCC @Home you’ll see the first of what we envision as an ongoing range of accessibly sized and priced statues. Given these are intended to help draw in new collectors, the first of them feature characters long term collectors will already be very familiar with, but which we hope will appeal to both long term collectors and new fans, alike. Where we’re treading familiar ground, we’ve tried to do so in new ways.

So what could these all be? How about some teasey clues!
                  Four Middle-earth statues, but seven characters…
                  Two wear helmets…
                  One has a hat…
                  One is seated…
                  Four have cloaks…
                  Four wear armour…
                  One wears barely anything at all…
                  One serves the people of Middle-earth...
                  One serves another…
                  One serves none but himself…
                  One serves the Lord of the Ring…
                  The other three, it’s hard to say…
                  Two hold staves…
                  Two hold swords…
                  One holds a hammer…
                  One holds a spear…
                  One holds on for dear life…
                  One has a beard…
                  Four have pointed ears, though not all can be seen…

Middle-earth won’t just be represented in 1/6th scale. In addition to new Mini Epics, we have another brand new Middle-earth range debuting this year, and you’ll see the first two of these as well. Where this line goes is very much up to you, so let your voice be heard and let us know what and who else you’d like to see in future.

Did I mention Mini Epics? So, you know Smaug is on his way, and he’s not alone. You can expect at least two more Middle-earth Mini Epics, from both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, as well as more to join both our Alien/s and Borderlands ranges! Additionally, we will have two exclusive variant Mini Epics from Ghostbusters and The Lord of the Rings, available to order on day one.

Fans of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will also get their first look at the next statue in this exciting range. We’ve tipped our hand on this one already, so those who have been paying attention should be able to guess who it might be. ;)

And that’s not all. I don’t want to say too much right now, but there are two other licenses that we will be sharing with the world as well.

Righto, that’s it for today. Hopefully there’s some fun stuff in there to get speculating about for the SDCC reveals. I hope I didn’t make any of them too easy to guess! Not long now until go time!

Talk again real soon!

Posted on June 29:

Hi folks!

Loving all the speculation and discussion. Also, some great environment talk on the last few pages. The gist is very much like the debate and conversation we’ve had internally on the subject if future environments. Our 2021 enviro. plans are locked in, so I hope you like where we landed! Judging by the comments, I think at least some of you should be very happy! But that’s a conversation for SDCC 2021. Let’s talk 2020!

I was deliberately vague with some of my comments and clues, perhaps even cruelly so! Let me clarify a few points to help steer the guesses…

I had mentioned that we had two big 1/6th polystone pieces coming, one a Master’s Collection statue, and one what we call a premium statue, which is something between a regular 1/6th release and a MC. Previous premium pieces have included multiple figures, or a single large character, or perhaps a horse and rider, for example. Of these two new pieces you’ll be seeing, one is from LOTR and one is from The Hobbit, as I believe I mentioned. One features two characters and one has three. One includes a particularly impressive chunk of scenery that substantially contributes to its volume.

Then there are the other two polystone Middle-earth pieces, which I can confirm are most definitely both 1/6th scale. I think I referred to them as a new sub-line, but really, that’s more for the sake of how we plan and budget them at our end. As far as collectors go, they should be indistinguishable from the rest of the 1/6th scale Middle-earth poly range, on familiar bases and in exactly the same style you have come to know and expect. The differences are purely to do with price point and character choices. We’re doing our best to keep these in an accessible bracket, and to choose subjects that we hope with have broad, enduring appeal. But, these are absolutely and positively 1/6th scale polystone, the same as you’ve always enjoyed! Both are single characters. One is a baddie and one a goodie. Both come from the same movie.

With the knowledge we have now, I believe this is the Ringwraith and Gandalf, and definetly a new line within the 1/6 scale.

The long list of clues in my last post referred to the 1/6th scale statues, so that’s the two I was just speaking of and the previously mentioned MC and premium pieces.

Separate to that is a brand, new line of Middle-earth figures in a different material, scale and style, which we will also be launching. There will be two of these shown at launch, and by coincidence, they are almost the exact same two subjects represented in the 1/6th scale sub-line I was just talking about… almost, but not quite.
                  Here Dan clearly says a new line of ME will start. Linking this tot he comment above regarding Azog, it appears to be a new vinyl line.

+ there are Mini Epics (possibly more than two, now, thanks to a recent likeness approval) and lots of other fun goodies from different licenses.

Not long now! I can’t wait to see what you all think when you see them. And this is just the beginning. 2020 has plenty more polystone revelations in store.

Changing subject for a minute, I also wanted to take a moment to set the record straight on a point of creative credit that was inadvertently messed up and for which I accept responsibility.

Recently I made a drawing of the Witch-king of Angmar and Frodo at Weathertop statue, which was mislabelled as concept art in an article on our website, last month. I want to clarify that this drawing was not produced as a concept sketch. It was an interpretive drawing of the collectible which had already been sculpted at that point. The reason it existed was that we needed something to tease the statue without revealing it, so the sketch was done after the fact and was never intended to be represented as concept art.

Later, when the artwork was shared online, I was asked to write some copy about the scene to go with it, but in the editing process a critical line that credited the design and sculpt to Jane was lost. It was my job to check this and, in my haste, I completely missed the omission. Coupled with a concept art title put on it by someone else who didn’t know otherwise, it misrepresented both the nature of the drawing and, more importantly, creative credit for the idea.

The Witch-king and Frodo at Weathertop statue was Jane Wenley’s from start to finish. My job at Weta Workshop is to art direct our Middle-earth collectibles, and while our statues usually start with a sketch or Photoshop concept from me, this was an instance where that did not happen. Jane had a strong vision for the statue which she worked up as a maquette first, negating the need for a conceptual drawing. In fact, from the point of view of art direction, I was mostly peripheral on this one. I offered my opinion from time to time, but it was Jane who had the creative vision and drove it forward, with input and insights from Richard as the behind the scenes videos you have all seen outline.

I take responsibility for any misperception resulting from the incorrect labelling and edited flavour copy as that was my job to check. Most importantly, I want to publicly acknowledge that error and apologise to Jane. She worked so hard on this piece and I hate the thought that she was robbed of her due credit.

Thanks, folks.

Now, back to that awesome and spirited environment discussion! I’m grabbing my popcorn. ;)

So to conclude; I think the Ringwraith and Gandalf are part of the new, cheaper line within the 1/6th scale. A new line will be shown, probably a vinyl line.

Gathering the hints:
                  Four Middle-earth statues, but seven characters…

Ringwraith
                  Four have cloaks… (1/4)
                  Two hold swords… (1/2)
                  One serves the Lord of the Ring…

Gandalf
                  One has a hat…
                  One serves the people of Middle-earth...
                  Four have cloaks… (2/4)
                  Two hold staves… (1/2)
                  One has a beard…

Leaves the following:
                  MC with 2 characters
                  Premium with 3 characters
                  Four have cloaks… (3&4 / 4)
                  Two hold staves…(2/2)
                  Two hold swords… (2/2)
                  Two wear helmets…
                  One is seated…
                  Four wear armour…
                  One serves another…
                  One holds a hammer…
                  One holds a spear…

Last edited by Celaglar; 21 July 2020, 05:50.

Comment

Personally I love these, I’ve owned all the 1/6 Gandalf’s and I think this is the best, and finally a free standing RW!, I’ve been on the hunt for the SS version but it goes for too much most of the time so this is perfect, and being open editions no rush to order, I can concentrate on paying for the cave troll then grab these after

Comment

Originally posted by Celaglar View Post

Leaves the following:
                      MC with 2 characters
                      Premium with 3 characters
                      Four have cloaks… (3&4 / 4)
                      Two hold staves…(2/2)
                      Two hold swords… (2/2)
                      Two wear helmets…
                      One is seated…
                      Four wear armour…
                      One serves another…
                      One holds a hammer…
                      One holds a spear…

I think you can count the Ringwraith as one of the four who wera an armour.

Comment

I generally only collect the good guys, but I've broken that self-imposed rule a couple times. I may do do again for this Wringwraith. It looks really good and I'm a fan of simpler, more understated poses.

Oh, and that Gandalf looks excellent. I have too many Gandalf statues (4) already, but heck, I may be in for this new one, too.
                        Last edited by Buckeye; 21 July 2020, 06:32.
                        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
                        ~~Thorin Oakenshield

Comment

I'll admit I wasn't thrilled when I saw Gandalf. My first thought was "Oh no, not again, please let this not be real."

And by that I didn't mean that it's not a great-looking statue, but only that it felt like a step backwards in time to having to relive the entire line again without moving forward to those last few characters we still want to see done. In hindsight though, Weta doesn't really have much of a choice other than to re-release the classic characters over and over again if they're to have any hope of remaining in business and needing to attract new collectors.

I have the SSW GTG and the Hobbit one, so I'm pretty sure I will pass on this, especially with the rumour of the prices not being any lower. The Nazgul, however, will be most likely a sure purchase and I think it gives Weta a good opportunity to explore releasing past characters in a way that hasn't been done before (by them) and a single, static Nazgul on foot is a prime example of that. If every second statue they release in this new series is like that, then we're all in trouble.

Also, great to see static poses make a comeback. So tired of Middle-earth's version of The Matrix meets Cirque du Soleil.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

The Nazgul, however, will be most likely a sure purchase and I think it gives Weta a good opportunity to explore releasing past characters in a way that hasn't been done before (by them) and a single, static Nazgul on foot is a prime example of that. If every second statue they release in this new series is like that, then we're all in trouble.

Also, great to see static poses make a comeback. So tired of Middle-earth's version of The Matrix meets Cirque du Soleil.
                            I agree 100% on this
                            https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                              I'll admit I wasn't thrilled when I saw Gandalf. My first thought was "Oh no, not again, please let this not be real."

And by that I didn't mean that it's not a great-looking statue, but only that it felt like a step backwards in time to having to relive the entire line again without moving forward to those last few characters we still want to see done. In hindsight though, Weta doesn't really have much of a choice other than to re-release the classic characters over and over again if they're to have any hope of remaining in business and needing to attract new collectors.

I have the SSW GTG and the Hobbit one, so I'm pretty sure I will pass on this, especially with the rumour of the prices not being any lower. The Nazgul, however, will be most likely a sure purchase and I think it gives Weta a good opportunity to explore releasing past characters in a way that hasn't been done before (by them) and a single, static Nazgul on foot is a prime example of that. If every second statue they release in this new series is like that, then we're all in trouble.

Love your last sentence

And yes, I love the static poses!

Comment

Pre-order is already up!
                                $349
                                Open Edition

https://www.wetanz.com/shop/figures/...aith-of-mordor

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post

Love your last sentence

And yes, I love the static poses!

Exactly! Static poses for the win. Was never able to find the Sideshow Gandalf and Ringwraith, so these are perfect to me.

Comment

Love this statue with the static pose ! I will take it for sure !

Comment

Them being open editions, I will not order any of them straight away. Will probably end up with the Ringwraith down the line. A bit let down that they have put a 349 price tag on it as the Ringwraith looks to have less individual pieces for sculpting and a fairy easy paint scheme compared to the istari.

Comment

Is it just me or is the handle of the sword bent? Was it always like this in the movies? In that case, I never noticed it myself.

Comment

Pre-ordered, just like Gandalf

Comment

Working...
                                          X