SDCC 2020 Virtual Weta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stig View Post
    First of all, not a fan of people spoiling things before they are ready to be revealed. I hadn't shown much mercy for the people doing it if it was my products.
    I'm sorry I posted the images I found on another retailers site, actually I didn't even know they were Weta or not as they have been on-line for a few days now.

Weta should have some sort of release embargo for things there retailers are going to list until Weta has a chance to first.
    Last edited by N2Darkness; 25 July 2020, 11:38.
    https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post
      First time in a long time posting a pic, signed up for Flickr, so Mods, please don't hate me if I'm doing it wrong...

dhfa;sdofa (1) by James Ash, on Flickr

dhfa;sdofa (2) by James Ash, on Flickr

Those are my first two builds. I'm gonna make a thread in the Display Case area shortly with statues n such on them as well.

Nice work! I look forward to your collection thread!

Who would have thought 10 years ago that we would be here in 2020 (with face masks) having whimsical, stylished vinyl figures from several manufactores, 12" action figures from Asmus, 1/10 scale figures and dioramas from Iron Studios, 1/8 vinyl figures, 1/6 poly figures, MCs amd more from Weta and 1/4 scale figures from Prime 1 Studios.
      Who would have thought indeed. It's crazy.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

I don't understand why they should be more expensive than the other FoF statues.
        I never expected all of us here to like them. They are quite different from the polystone statues. And I don't think Weta plan to win us old fashioned poly people over to vinyl. But there are probably people out there who really like them like this, and find their soze much more doable than the ever more massive 1/6 line.

But I agree on the bases. The look rather plain and boring. I know they are similar to those of Borderlands 3 and APEX, but somehow that style fit less with The Lord of the Rings than those two licenses. Something a bit more ornate would be better, but they could still be one colour.

Here comes the FoU Collectibles Council to the rescue once more! PM us Weta and we'll name our fee.

And a heads up for both myself and all others here. As Weta expand on different branches of Middle-Earth collectibles, there's a good chance we will get new members who have no interest in polystone or MC statues, but may live for the next FoF release. Even if we have no interest and find some of the new stuff unappealing, let's welcome the newcomers with open arms and let's refrain from becoming elitist.
        Yea I don't think they'll be that much, but I def. think they'll be more than the mini-epics. And you hit the nail on the head regarding the bases, exactly what I was thinking but couldn't articulate. I've been on the fence about getting the Wraith Apex figure as I do play that game quite a bit, and I think the base is perfect for it as it doesn't distract from the statue. But for LOTR I just don't think it fits the aesthetic. Not a bad base, and I'm not disparaging, but I feel like it could be a little more stylized with some Tolkien flair to make them stand out. Like a faux wood look or something would be 10X cooler looking. Just a thought/suggestion. And I don't think I'd feel that way about any other property... So maybe I'm just bias and think LOTR/Hobbit is special and deserves a better base, or I'm just spoiled by polystone.

Would also never dream of disparaging other products or people's collecting preferences. I started out with Toybiz like many others lol. And I still have the Toybiz Sauron somewhere... But I totally agree with you. Def. want to make this a welcoming place for all fans of Tolkien AND Weta.
        Last edited by HeraldElrond; 25 July 2020, 10:48.

Comment

First of all, not a fan of people spoiling things before they are ready to be revealed. I hadn't shown much mercy for the people doing it if it was my products.

I don't understand why they should be more expensive than the other FoF statues.
          I never expected all of us here to like them. They are quite different from the polystone statues. And I don't think Weta plan to win us old fashioned poly people over to vinyl. But there are probably people out there who really like them like this, and find their soze much more doable than the ever more massive 1/6 line.

But I agree on the bases. The look rather plain and boring. I know they are similar to those of Borderlands 3 and APEX, but somehow that style fit less with The Lord of the Rings than those two licenses. Something a bit more ornate would be better, but they could still be one colour.

Here comes the FoU Collectibles Council to the rescue once more! PM us Weta and we'll name our fee.

And a heads up for both myself and all others here. As Weta expand on different branches of Middle-Earth collectibles, there's a good chance we will get new members who have no interest in polystone or MC statues, but may live for the next FoF release. Even if we have no interest and find some of the new stuff unappealing, let's welcome the newcomers with open arms and let's refrain from becoming elitist.
          Yeah, I wish these online retailers had honored the dates of the show or times Weta was putting stuff up.

They might not be. I looked real quick and saw a few of them at $120. So maybe they’ll all come in at that but I think maybe they could be a bit more depending on the character/size.

I agree. I don’t expect everyone to like them but I hope the folks that do can have as much fun as those that collect polystone pieces. I think that won’t be an issue and that’s what makes this a pretty special place. It’s why I make sure to link this place in my videos. I want people to come here and be able to safely chat about Middle-earth collectibles.

Comment

The Video is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwindor View Post
              The Video is up.

I like these. I expect I’ll get some of these over time because I think they fun. I don’t mind the artistic flair at all. As a matter of fact I’m kind of a big fan of the way they’re doing it. I think it gives fans who are new something cool and maybe fans who aren’t into polystone a way to get into Middle-earth. Long time collectors like myself have something that can be added in that adds that cool and classy flair they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
                Everyone is free to collect what he wants, I would never allow myself to say anything bad about it.

The more people collect the better.
                It's great that there is something for everyone.
                Exactly!

Comment

HeraldElrond Lol, yes indeed I also started with Toybiz - I had Sauron, Grima and Galadriel from what I remember - I will always remember visiting my grandparents in Lincoln (UK) and them taking me to Toys r' Us where I bought them. I later replaced them with the SSW statues.

With regards the new line, it's not for me. I was hoping for something more like the vinyl Azog we were teased with a couple of Cons ago. But, as Stig says, something for everyone. It's been one of the best Comic Cons from Weta, lots of different lines for different tastes and budgets.

Comment

Glad to see Jack there. long time, no see

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

I'm sorry I posted the images I found on another retailers site, actually I didn't even know they were Weta or not as they have been on-line fore a few days now.

Weta should have some sort of release embargo for things there retailers are going to list until Weta has a chance to first.
                    I understood that from your post and I am glad you hold off posting them until today. And you are not the one who did anything wrong in the first place

Comment

Hi Jack You survived the lockdown well.

This new line has amazing detail. I’m sure it will open up a line to new fans. I hope it goes well for new collectors and Weta.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                        With regards the new line, it's not for me. I was hoping for something more like the vinyl Azog we were teased with a couple of Cons ago. But, as Stig says, something for everyone. It's been one of the best Comic Cons from Weta, lots of different lines for different tastes and budgets.
                        If I remember correctly from one of Daniel's posts, he said they're still trying to make the 1:10 vinyl line work, although the first piece won't be Azog.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

A real bummer. I wish they would have leaned into the 1:10 vinyl line over this. I was much more interested in buying those.

Comment

Comment

Haha, I was the 2nd person to watch it. Thanks for doing it buddy. I have really enjoyed watching them throughout the reveals!

Comment

NEXT & LAST

Mystery at 3pm PST

11pm London time
                                08am Sydney time

6pm New York time

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                                  Haha, I was the 2nd person to watch it. Thanks for doing it buddy. I have really enjoyed watching them throughout the reveals!
                                  As always thanks for watching. It's been my pleasure. For me it's been a nice way to make up for not being there or at least help in some way. I appreciate everyone checking them out and supporting the channel without the regular SDCC content.

Comment

I really like the new FoF Gandalf and Witchking... buuuuut I doubt I will buy them as I have polystone 1:6 and mini epics of both. I actually really like the effects, but can see how they could be hit and miss. If they were removeable it gives more options of displaying them. Yes, the bases are a bit bland, but with more detailed bases comes a big price jump. Be cool to see who else is made.
                                    "I aim to misbehave." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Comment

Anime, Magna, gaming are all very much the new thing and the stylized figures that go with them. Tokyo Pop culture is a big area of collecting and these fit right in there. Both ends of the spectrum are being covered by Weta from the less expensive vinyl pieces to the high end poly, Some will be hit and others a miss but it's all about trying to stay ahead of the curve
                                      ????

Comment

I don't think the FoF ones are much inspired by neither Anime or Manga. They are quite realistic, but just made in a different material. They have more in common with the 1/6 polystone line that they do with the Mini Epics - apart from the material they are made of.

Say what you will about the flame effect and whatever effect coming out of Gandalf's staff, but I can see why Weta went with two action poses after showing us the rather static ToT and Classic Series.

As it seems like the earlier FoF statues has passed by many of you, let me show you some of what Weta has released before:

Comment

Thank you very much,Josh

I hope this evening we will get a big surprise at the end of this event.

Comment

Working...
                                          X