SDCC 2020 Virtual Weta

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
    Still want to see a completion of Dol Guldur 1/30 range though
    Yes. A thousand times YES.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Stig View Post

      It says Limited Edition. It just doesn't say a number.
      An I am unsure if Weta has ever stated that the Premium ones have to be limited.

      Oh, and welcome to The Flame of Udun
      Thank you.
      End? No, the journey doesn't end here.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post
        For the people interested in the miniature line: WETA confirmed to me that the line is not dead; there will be 1 or 2 more miniatures this year (announcements).
        Really hoping for a Treebeard in this line! Or an ent of any kind.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Jrchampion93 View Post

          Really hoping for a Treebeard in this line! Or an ent of any kind.
          That would be cool, yes. Personally I'm still rooting for Merry/Pippin, so that we can have all the hobbits in miniature style.

          Comment


            Them releasing Treebeard and a couple more ents as miniatures like we got Tom, Bill and Bert the Trolls we could make our own ent moot

            Comment


              Originally posted by Stig View Post
              Them releasing Treebeard and a couple more ents as miniatures like we got Tom, Bill and Bert the Trolls we could make our own ent moot
              Might be the only way I get something TB related.

              Comment


                Looks like I may only be getting the Thranduil. I love the troll, but I would have liked to see some environment included. Plus I just don't think I can pull off both of these gigantic pieces, so for my money, I'd much rather have that epic Thranduil than the Cave Troll. I'd love to be able to manage both, and if I can I will, but given it's almost certainly gonna be over 1k USD I'm gonna have to bow out unless Thranduil is way less than I anticipate, and it won't be. The Classic line is awesome, and I'm sure I'll pick up some eventually, esp. if they go on sale, but 350 is still too much to get another Gandalf or Wraith. I'll have to limit those to characters I don't already have represented unless they do another epic sale.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post
                  Looks like I may only be getting the Thranduil. I love the troll, but I would have liked to see some environment included. Plus I just don't think I can pull off both of these gigantic pieces, so for my money, I'd much rather have that epic Thranduil than the Cave Troll. I'd love to be able to manage both, and if I can I will, but given it's almost certainly gonna be over 1k USD I'm gonna have to bow out unless Thranduil is way less than I anticipate, and it won't be. The Classic line is awesome, and I'm sure I'll pick up some eventually, esp. if they go on sale, but 350 is still too much to get another Gandalf or Wraith. I'll have to limit those to characters I don't already have represented unless they do another epic sale.
                  I was wondering what you would go for after seeing them both. Not surprised that you are going for Thranduil. It truly is an incredible piece of art.

                  Comment


                    For stuff like Treebeard, Trolls, Spiders and Mumaks, I wish they would do a line that is not quite miniature (the three Hobbit trolls were too small) but also not enormous (a 3 and a half foot TB is a space killer). I'd love a 12-16 inch TB. Same with the trolls. It'd be cool if they sculpted these creatures to be a comparable size to their regular 1:6 line. But that's probably not a popular opinion amongst collectors. It looks like WETA is only going to go bigger, which, while it's certainly fun to look at, is something I can realistically afford or have space for. Beyond happy for those who can accommodate these giant pieces though! Haha I can't imagine having space for ToT, TB and now CT.

                    Comment


                      [QUOTE= Haha I can't imagine having space for ToT, TB and now CT.[/QUOTE]

                      In "Survival of the Fittest" my forebear Pocketdarwin says:

                      It is not the biggest of the statues that stays, nor the most expensive, but the one hardest to find again.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

                        I was wondering what you would go for after seeing them both. Not surprised that you are going for Thranduil. It truly is an incredible piece of art.
                        It really is just astounding. Old me would have had to have the Cave Troll, because I use to feel like I needed all of the creatures and characters I like represented in my collection. But in the last few years I just get whatever I like, and for this SDCC, it's HANDS DOWN Thranduil. I know I'm gonna regret not getting CT down the road when it's sold out, but when I look at the new offerings without considering anything other than the art, that ToT is just mind-blowingly awesome. Plus I'm partial to the elves. I need a Gil Galad!!! I'd also really love a Classic line Legolas to put down with the guard, that would be AMAZING!!

                        I'm gonna feel bad not getting the CT, I do really like it, but passing on it will give me some room to get new hobbit holes and possibly be able to order stuff they release later on this year. Plus if Thranduil is gonna be nearing 3K USD I need to start saving now.

                        And for all of you without the space or place to display this, take up woodworking lol. You HAVE the space, you just have to get creative with it!! I was inspired by N2Darkness and am really proud of the two TV stands I've created. The second one I built was because I needed something to put Treebeard on that had a large enough top. Unfortunately it only measures 26 inches deep so while it's wide enough to accommodate both TB and ToT, it's not deep enough. So it's back to the woodshop for me!!
                        Last edited by HeraldElrond; 25 July 2020, 06:44.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                          And for all of you without the space or place to display this, take up woodworking lol. You HAVE the space, you just have to get creative with it!! I was inspired by N2Darkness and am really proud of the two TV stands I've created. The second one I built was because I needed something to put Treebeard on that had a large enough top. Unfortunately it only measures 26 inches deep so while it's wide enough to accommodate both TB and ToT, it's not deep enough. So it's back to the woodshop for me!!
                          I love to build my own things. I will be building my own custom display cabinets when the time comes to start my room. It will be part of the fun and add an extra layer of satisfaction when I look at it all.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

                            I love to build my own things. I will be building my own custom display cabinets when the time comes to start my room. It will be part of the fun and add an extra layer of satisfaction when I look at it all.
                            You will not be disappointed. My Treebeard sat in my garage for about a year while I was planning and building. The next one won't take nearly as long, I was a complete novice a year ago, but I've learned a lot since then. Plus I bought a table saw and some other tools. The satisfaction of finally getting Treebeard out on display on something I BUILT is just an indescribably great feeling. I'm so proud, even if it's not perfect.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                              You will not be disappointed. My Treebeard sat in my garage for about a year while I was planning and building. The next one won't take nearly as long, I was a complete novice a year ago, but I've learned a lot since then. Plus I bought a table saw and some other tools. The satisfaction of finally getting Treebeard out on display on something I BUILT is just an indescribably great feeling. I'm so proud, even if it's not perfect.
                              Did you ever post a photo of it?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                                And for all of you without the space or place to display this, take up woodworking lol. You HAVE the space, you just have to get creative with it!! I was inspired by N2Darkness and am really proud of the two TV stands I've created. The second one I built was because I needed something to put Treebeard on that had a large enough top. Unfortunately it only measures 26 inches deep so while it's wide enough to accommodate both TB and ToT, it's not deep enough. So it's back to the woodshop for me!!
                                I'm glad I could help inspire others to get in the garage and build stuff! Did you ever post any photos of the finished piece?
                                https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

                                  I'm glad I could help inspire others to get in the garage and build stuff! Did you ever post any photos of the finished piece?
                                  I have not yet, but I'm going to try and get around to it this weekend. The issue is my camera. I only have the one on my phone and not only is it a crap camera, but the lense or something is broken so I have to like barely move the phone or the image starts shaking like I'm in an earthquake. Plus as I said, I'm still mostly a novice, and while I'm proud of it, your stuff puts it to absolute shame lol. It's gonna feel like opening up for Jimi Hendrix with a banjo I can barely play. I still have many tricks to learn, but for my first build(s), I think it's pretty damn good.
                                  Last edited by HeraldElrond; 25 July 2020, 07:38.

                                  Comment


                                    So based on Dan's clues, are we expecting Gandalf the White and the ROTK Witch King represented in this new line? I'm curious what it could be. Hopefully something more in the style of the 1:6 pieces and not the mini-epics.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Dcole4 View Post
                                      For stuff like Treebeard, Trolls, Spiders and Mumaks, I wish they would do a line that is not quite miniature (the three Hobbit trolls were too small) but also not enormous (a 3 and a half foot TB is a space killer). I'd love a 12-16 inch TB. Same with the trolls. It'd be cool if they sculpted these creatures to be a comparable size to their regular 1:6 line. But that's probably not a popular opinion amongst collectors. It looks like WETA is only going to go bigger, which, while it's certainly fun to look at, is something I can realistically afford or have space for. Beyond happy for those who can accommodate these giant pieces though! Haha I can't imagine having space for ToT, TB and now CT.
                                      I kinda agree with you for the average collector bigger is not always better. MC’s and big premium statues are gorgeous pieces of art and I’m super thrilled for the people who have the room and financial means, but I am glad that WETA has not forgotten the people with limited space (see the Classic line and statues from that size like the Amon Hen series).

                                      Originally posted by Dcole4 View Post
                                      So based on Dan's clues, are we expecting Gandalf the White and the ROTK Witch King represented in this new line? I'm curious what it could be. Hopefully something more in the style of the 1:6 pieces and not the mini-epics.

                                      I hope so too. Somewhere between miniatures and 1/6 would be nice. They will probably use some other material, which is fine by me. I just don’t want them to end like funko pops or mini epics - too cartoonish for me personally.
                                      Last edited by Alwayshappy; 25 July 2020, 07:46.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Dcole4 View Post
                                        So based on Dan's clues, are we expecting Gandalf the White and the ROTK Witch King represented in this new line? I'm curious what it could be. Hopefully something more in the style of the 1:6 pieces and not the mini-epics.
                                        I saw these a couple of days ago in someones Instagram stories, but don't know what they are.
                                        gandalfwhite1.jpg
                                        witchkingff1.jpg
                                        https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

                                        Comment


                                          N2Darkness

                                          Wow! It has to be it? Whose IG story?

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X