Weta Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stig - I was joking about not feeling special, every hobbit is special. Just trying to understand Weta's objective and it seems the trigger was a recent downgrade in collector status that raised a red alert. They assumed those folks would have bought more than they did but the analysis ignores most of them got TB followed by their normal buying pattern. The high cost of TB created an anomaly on the buying pattern that resulted on a messed up target group selection. This is what i do at work i try to convince people of my theories all day long, sometimes even i include data and statistics
    Last edited by pocketreef; 9th November 2019, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
      Hi Stig - I was joking about not feeling special, every hobbit is special. Just trying to understand Weta's objective and it seems the trigger was a recent downgrade in collector status that raised a red alert. They assumed those folks would have bought more than they did but the analysis ignores most of them got TB followed by their normal buying pattern. The high cost of TB created an anomaly on the buying pattern that resulted on a messed up target group selection. This is what i do at work i try to convince people of my theories all they long, sometimes even i include data and statistics
      Without knowing how they selected people for this (beyond the possibility of randomness) your theory is sound. Of course, most of us wouldn't have slipped to Silver if they hadn't pulled a dirty trick with the dates of the MC releases and whatever is going on with WD/pre-orders/payment plans/etc. I honestly wish one of the question on that survey was for a suggestion on how to improve the WD system.

I'm over it.

Comment

I'm going to take a look at it soon as I'm now home from work, I'm hoping there's a general 'anything else to add?' section where we can say what we want.

Comment

I also got said email, and I enjoyed filling it out tbh. I did feel special at first too because of the wording, but that feeling quickly wore off. The downgrade to silver seems like it was a glitch to me, as there is no way I should be silver. I bought Treebeard, just payed off Galadriel, and have preordered MM and GoCart. Not to mention the minis I bought last year and so on. Before TB I was a little dormant for a while but only like a year or so. Treebeard alone should be enough to keep me in Gold status for a while. So I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with said email, because I'm DEFINITELY not buying less, I just got back into buying more! lol.

I gave up on caring or trying to understand the collector status and weta dollar nonsense a long time ago. I'm happy they do it and I take what they give me. It's not that I wouldn't be bothered if I were getting the short end so to speak, I just don't have the time or patience to figure it out anymore.

And I wouldn't take not getting the email as a slight, it's almost certainly not even them doing it, they paid a third party to administer it and just gave them the questions they wanted answered. The survey also timed out and made me start over twice, so it wasn't even really a great experience, though I did enjoy listing out all the crap I wanted them to make instead of just "my ideal collectible" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
            I'm going to take a look at it soon as I'm now home from work, I'm hoping there's a general 'anything else to add?' section where we can say what we want.
            this is like Aladdin's lamp, you cant wish infinite wishes But it does not stop you from adding links to our threads if such text field exists

Comment

There is an open item section. I mentioned this forum on there and did my best to try voice some of the main themes of concern I have seen on here, with the main theme of ensuring their most loyal customers of what I assume is there most successful line (LotR) remain happy, to ensure that the line continues and we all benefit.

I am generally a silver collector but did purchase Treebeard so the logic of selection is possible.

Comment

I’d like to add that not just ME collectors would have received this. I have been told that ME isn’t even Weta’s biggest seller anymore.

We have diminished but hopefully, won’t sail into the west.

Comment

Well well well there are alot of people here and in general that would see this as a kick in the teeth things it shows to myself are

1 weta has problems choosing and understanding which items are in high demand and which are not

2 they need either a decision maker either visiting here or on there own website where you can interact with them

3 polls actually are done and done for a reason ie if weta run a poll and the winners get to a etd size of 750 or whatever it is then that character def gets made and becomes common knownledge

4 why is there so secrecy about whats being released yes its fun at con but its not good business give people what they want they will order it a small number of weta staff decide what to be made thats why certain statues failed

6 its worrying that daniel said lotr and hobbit will be taking a lesser input than other lic over the next few years so its so inportant that the smaller number being made are ones the majority really want

7 interacting more often here the threads take more life and interest after daniel leonard etc log in and post but waiting several months for a 5 min message is not good

in short the fan base is there
                  passion of lotr / hobbit is there
                  weta have the ability to make eneything tb is proof
                  it just needs bringing together to make it good for all

Comment

I received it as well, but while filling it out, the site was having problems. I will try again tonight.

Comment

What on earth could be selling more than Middle Earth?!

Ghostbusters?

Comment

I would guess more likely Dark Crystal. Just a guess though.

Comment

Or the board game and video game stuff?

Comment

Yep FE has it. Borderlands.

Although I hear Dark Crystal is also going well. Not sure if it is currently more popular than ME though

Comment

Originally posted by Valar View Post
                              What on earth could be selling more than Middle Earth?!

Ghostbusters?
                              I’m with you on this one Valar...... I find it hard to believe that Weta has a bigger seller than ME. Nothing I’ve seen so far would indicate that but I guess anything is possible.

Comment

Yes Min, that would be my guess too.

But if so, I’d say it is just the initial excitement of a new franchise, and I say that being a huge fan of both the original Dark Crystal and the new tv show.

Fast forward another two decades, and will it have the same longevity and extent of merchandising the length and breadth that Middle Earth has had in the same time span?

And that question goes for any of the other contemporary franchises/IP’s that Weta are merchandising.

I think Star Wars is the only other franchise with the fan base and staying power to challenge LOTR, and Disney have ruined that. Marvel is going great, but superheroes in spandex eventually become a little ridiculous if you allow yourself to think about it for too long. Still gotta love them though

Middle Earth is on another level to anything else, which makes it imperative for Weta to get their fingers on the pulse of what their fan base wants, and how much they’re comfortable to spend. If you’ve doubled the pricing of statues in the past five years, the decline in sales might not simply be due to lack of interest in the franchise!

Hopefully these new surveys will help keep Middle Earth poly going for many more years to come

And the new tv show isn’t far away!

Comment

Oh, Borderlands! Good to see, I guess.

Having said that, I’m a gamer myself, and we all know how long computer games last until the next one comes along

Makes sense they’re selling more numbers than LOTR though, as they’re more affordable, and kinda cool.

But surely Weta would have made more profit on LOTR even with just the 333 Treebeards! Numbers aren’t everything, are they?

Comment

Actually, I admit I was a little miffed at first when I found out about the survey and that I didn't get one. That damned ego! Then as I thought about it, that feeling turned from miffed to confusion at why Weta, or any company, would select such a low number of people to get information from to "understand" what their customers want. Then as I thought about it a little more, that feeling turned from confusion to fear because they were going to be forming their future marketing strategy on the results of such a small sample group. That's where I still am right now, feeling a little afraid. Not miffed, not confused, afraid.

Here is an extreme example of what I am concerned about. Say 100 surveys were sent out. As all survey emails go, not everyone that was sent one will take the time to fill it out. So, lets say half of the recipients decide fill it out. Out of those 50 people, by some crazy roll of the dice, 25 of them were people that thought that their dream collectible was the Great Goblin MC and they put that on the survey. When Weta gets the results of their survey back from those 50 people, are they now going to believe that half the collectors out there want to see a Great Goblin MC?

Yes, I know thats extreme but it does make the point of what I trying to say. Small survey samples, not can, but will, give skewed results that don't reflect the true wants/desires of the entire group that they are trying to understand.

Maybe everyone on thier mailing list, from people that purchased just one piece in the last two years, all the way up to collectors that spend thousands of dollars each year will get the survey eventually, as hbw60 has suggested. I hope that it is true. Because if it isn't true and they stick with a small survey group, I shouldn't just be happy that Weta initiated such an exclusive survey at all, I should and will be concerned (as you should be as well) that only a few people's thoughts are shaping Weta's future marketing decisions for all of us.

That's what I'm afraid of and it would have been better for all of us, for Weta to have never sent out the survey in the first place.

Comment

Dont worry, GG wont be MC.

Comment

Well I certainly didn't ask for the Goblin King, and as for my "ideal collectible" I asked for something that is made to high standards, both in manufacture and accuracy, but in fit and finish as well. Better QC control and yet at a reasonable price. When you are now paying a premium for a "collectible" of you favorite franchise you would like it free of defects and look amazing in hand. Is that so hard to ask for?
                                        https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

I understand why some are miffed, why others are concerned, and why many, myself included, are saying, you have a forum, what about us?

Thing is, the predecessor of this forum, S&F, 'begged' Weta to create Grond. Grond was in the top 5 of most wanted lists and polls, when Weta revealed Grond at a CC everyone was amazed by it and were jumping up and down. Yet, in the end, Grond was put on the 'chopping block' and sold for less than half price to get rid of the 500 pieces Weta made. I know a lot had to do with the cost of Grond. What I am getting at is that this forum, even though we are lovers of everything PJ's Middle-earth, or to some LotR, that have polls, want lists etc, are not always a great indicator as to what will and will not sell. Take Aragorn as another example. Many of the people on this forum didn't like the latest Aragorn for various reasons. By reading the posts about him I figured he would not sell out during preorder, yet he sold out during pre-preorder. I don't know what questions are on the survey other than what I have seen on Facebook, I did not receive the 'special email'.

Hopefully those filling this survey out are as foreward thinking as N2Darkness:
                                          Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post
                                          ... as for my "ideal collectible" I asked for something that is made to high standards, both in manufacture and accuracy, but in fit and finish as well. Better QC control and yet at a reasonable price. When you are now paying a premium for a "collectible" of you favorite franchise you would like it free of defects and look amazing in hand. Is that so hard to ask for?
                                          I'm pretty sure I would not have come up with such an all encompassing answer as this.
                                          My hats off to you N2Darkness.

This was placed on facebook:

I don't know if prior to this question, the person taking the survey was asked to think about 'Weta only' when answering the questions, even if they were, I find these categories rather limiting.

I have a very small collection compared to most on this forum, but I do have 13 hobbit holes, plus the Green Dragon and Bag End. That right there is 15. Include mini Frodo, mini Bilbo, and mini Sam I am now up to 18. Include my Frodo mini Epic, Sam mini Epic and Enraged Bilbo mini Epic, I have 21 Weta collectibles that are Hobbit/Hobbiton related. Twenty plus seems like a pretty 'low' number to be at the top of the number of collectibles scale to really understand how much this person collects. I would think that all surveys sent out to people on Weta's mailing list would have this box 'check off'.

Comment

Working...
                                          X