Aragorn at Amon Hen - 1:6 scale statue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elessar View Post

As I said above all of those would help taking photos of any piece. It’s not a requirement mind you but I think we all know we love seeing everyone’s photos but look forward to those with a good camera and ability. The new resin is different in regards to how it reacts to photos. That is a fact. As someone who has taken thousands of photos do collectibles I’ve got a really good idea of what I’m talking about. Case in point your repaint you love so much. I know you love it. It probably looks alright in person but in your photos it looks chalky and not good at all. However being a little more careful of when you take your photos, camera, etc I’m sure it would look better. So it’s not trick fixed photography it’s simply knowing what you’re doing. Bill does a great job of that as does AlwaysHappy just to name a couple off the top of my head. They’re not playing games but they know how to take a photo. As far as Isildur he’s amazing. One of my/their favorites for sure as everyone would agree. I also agree Thranduil has some issues and you did get one with a less than stellar paint job, but not everyone did so across the board it wasn’t terrible. In regards to all the other pieces with the resin heads they’ve all been awesome. I’ve not seen one person complain about them. So you seem to be the only one who thinks they’re no good.
    Take a look at Bill's Arwen...and tell me her face is awesome...perfect...

Originally posted by Enelyë View Post
    And if... we forget about our egos and go back to Aragorn.
    Glad hes got a beard...otherwise I'd be worried lol
    Last edited by Minuialwen; 11th February 2019, 11:22. Reason: Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Adolfo View Post
      There seems to be some paint that came above the lip and no shading in the mouth. Some other stuff I want to see up close and not blown up in a super sized photo. Overall the statue looks cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Adolfo View Post
        Is it because it's zoomed in so much? You probably wouldn't notice so much by just looking with the naked eye.

Comment

All I am doing is questioning the resin paint apps especially on the clean shaven, that's it...I am not questioning the photos...in fact I love the fact that they are so revealing

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

Is it because it's zoomed in so much? You probably wouldn't notice so much by just looking with the naked eye.
            It’s quite possible.

Comment

What I am trying to convey is that proper lights and a bit of technique are needed for pictures to show how the statue looks in front of us. Obviously lights and shading value statues in a display. Resin isn't quite forgiving if conditions aren't ideal. Not an exclusivity of Weta collectors I have seen also Prime1 folks taking bad pictures of Supermans and WonderWomans too, basically any flesh may result in poor texture, fake look, exactly the opposite the resin was used for.

Even resin being tricky to capture I still prefer to have more work with the iphone than going back to full flat paint doll look of the past.

Comment

I would...in fact my wife noticed it before me...she can spot bad make up job or fingernails a mile away...it would not take much in the paint dept to make these clean shave resin faces better, that's all I'm trying to say

It’s quite possible.
                Is it possible one just doesn't want to see it? The facial flaws I mean in this $700 piece...I see it
                Last edited by Minuialwen; 11th February 2019, 11:25. Reason: Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Adolfo

Is it possible one just doesn't want to see it? The flaws I mean.
                  I literally just mentioned a couple things I noticed in seeing the photos. Same as you. As a matter of fact one of them is something I will try to fix myself. So you’re not meaning me that’s for darn sure.

Comment

I literally just mentioned a couple things I noticed in seeing the photos. Same as you. As a matter of fact one of them is something I will try to fix myself. So you’re not meaning me that’s for darn sure.
                    If I ever mean you I'll call you out using your name Josh. Love is blinding

Comment

I can see why the ToE thread is such a massive contender for the Flamies

I personally love these new pieces that are coming out now and they are far better than the original versions. But there is just something about those original pieces that I love more so I will stick with my Aragorn, son of Arathon from the SS/W days dead, fish eyes and all !

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                        I can see why the ToE thread is such a massive contender for the Flamies

I personally love these new pieces that are coming out now and they are far better than the original versions. But there is just something about those original pieces that I love more so I will stick with my Aragorn, son of Arathon from the SS/W days dead, fish eyes and all !
                        We get a little passionate don’t we.

Those original pieces are something truly special. Flaws and all. None of us would be here still passionate all these years later if it wasn’t for Tolkien, Jackson, and the folks at Weta for creating those amazing pieces. I do miss my original Aragorn so it will be nice to have this one in my collection.

Comment

This.

1. Bill is a great photographer, but Arwen's face looks better in person. And that's saying something, since Bill is one of my two favorite photographers on this forum.

2. People should save their complains untill they've seen the piece in person imo. Not talking about constructive feedback, that's another different beast.

3. Regarding Arwen: when looking at her from a distance (where she's displayed) I just see awesomeness and a great likeness. Zooming in on pictures (of her face)? NOT a great way to convince yourself to buy the statue Because, yes, it could use some improvements, but it's not as bad as Adolfo makes it out to be. Not by a long shot.

Plus....this is the Aragorn thread, could be wise to just focus on that. Could also help to wait with complaining about him untill we've seen more of him...people seen him in person, etc. WETA was kind enough to tease us. That's so awesome. Better to focus on that for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post

This.

1. Bill is a great photographer, but Arwen's face looks better in person. And that's saying something, since Bill is one of my two favorite photographers on this forum.

2. People should save their complains untill they've seen the piece in person imo. Not talking about constructive feedback, that's another different beast.

3. Regarding Arwen: when looking at her from a distance (where she's displayed) I just see awesomeness and a great likeness. Zooming in on pictures (of her face)? NOT a great way to convince yourself to buy the statue Because, yes, it could use some improvements, but it's not as bad as Adolfo makes it out to be. Not by a long shot.

Plus....this is the Aragorn thread, could be wise to just focus on that. Could also help to wait with complaining about him untill we've seen more of him...people seen him in person, etc. WETA was kind enough to tease us. That's so awesome. Better to focus on that for now.
                            Spot on

Comment

I have just one think to say on the matter of my Arwen shots.

NO COMMENT!
                              Last edited by bill59; 11th February 2019, 09:32.

Comment

If I zoom in on my face and I wonder 'Who the @#$* is that?' and that is a definite in hand review.
                                Still I do appreciate there are those who like to look beyond the surface as it were and give comment on things they see which is fine by me be a use at the end of the day we are all free to make our own minds up when we see the piece ourself in hand

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                                  If I zoom in on my face and I wonder 'Who the @#$* is that?' and that is a definite in hand review.
                                  Still I do appreciate there are those who like to look beyond the surface as it were and give comment on things they see which is fine by me be a use at the end of the day we are all free to make our own minds up when we see the piece ourself in hand
                                  At least you're being honest ....pimples, dimples and all...I love Bill's photos...I do not Deny it, paint flaws revealed or not!

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
                                    WHOA!!!!! Am I glad I never ordered that. He looks like a pale ghost who is about to lose his lunch.

Comment

And we go again...
                                      Deep within the rock, they buried him. In a tomb so dark, it would never come to light

Comment

Anyway, Aragorn's looking great, isn't he?

Nice of Weta to give us a tease, hope they're not put off doing more of them.

Comment

Anyway, Aragorn's looking great, isn't he?

Nice of Weta to give us a tease, hope they're not put off doing more of them.
                                          That he is. Pretty damn good looking, IMO.

I know. A surprise at that, which is even better because it keeps us collectors on our toes. I don’t think they will. What we’ve seen so far from folks has been pretty positive.

Comment

Working...
                                          X