Weta new Ringwraith on Steed: See Page 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weta new Ringwraith on Steed: See Page 6

image_7706.jpg New Ringwraith on Steed???
    Attached Files
    Yes
    96.15%
    No
    3.85%
    Last edited by Minuialwen; 11th November 2018, 09:47. Reason: Added to the title ": Could It Be"

Has anyone thought of the horse that comes out behind Arwen?
    Of course the mount is an elf.
    Do you think it can be a sketch of the figure of Arwen? or another possible figure?

On the other hand, I do not think that the statue of the wizard king should be worth a mounted figure, let's not forget that while Arwen's are two 1/6 figures and a horse, something that this new statue does not have.
    Last edited by Francho; 10th November 2018, 11:14.

Comment

I too saw that horse behind Arwen and it looks like it could be a Nazgul steed. The saddle is strangely familiar in shape.

Here is a photo of the saddle of the Asmus Nazgul figure.

Does the shape of the saddle horn look like the saddle horn on the horse behind Arwen?

There also looks like fabric on the horses neck.

Could it be?
      Last edited by Ithildin; 10th November 2018, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
        I too saw that horse behind Arwen and it looks like it could be a Nazgul steed. The saddle is strangely familiar in shape.

Here is a photo of the saddle of the Asmus Nazgul figure.

Does the shape of the saddle horn look like the saddle horn on the horse behind Arwen?

There also looks like fabric on the horses neck.

Could it be?
        Hmmmmmm... there is also water splashing up under it’s hind legs!

It might be just the original sculpture for Asfaloth, but it sure is fun to speculate
        Last edited by Valar; 10th November 2018, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Valar View Post

It might be just the original sculpture for Asfaloth, but it sure is fun to speculate
          Haha, it is fun to speculate!

Comment

Originally posted by Valar View Post

To me it looks like that water is splashed up by Asfaloth.

And are we talking speculation or hope?
            Either way it's all I can afford

Comment

Perhaps it's a horse for a mounted Nazgul companion piece for Arwen and Asfaloth in their standoff at the Ford of Bruinen, sword drawn...

nazguls.JPG

Comment

There is a fabric skirt that goes under the saddle of the horse, you can see the whole profile and the corner covers the head of Twilight.

So I see difference to Arwen, although it is also true that the nazgul fabric skirt falls down and does not go with straps forward.

It is true that it also has water in the base, but let's not forget that the Nazgul were also in the river.
                elost01.jpg

Comment

Looking at the photo again, and at the product page of Arwen, it's clear that the water in the background (the water coloured darker grey compared to the whiter water of Arwen in the foreground) doesn't belong to Arwen on Asfaloth. So there seems to be a good chance that there will be a new Nazgul on steed as a companion piece to Arwen.
                  Last edited by DarkShadow; 10th November 2018, 23:07.

Comment

Here's a better closeup of the "mystery horse". There are som splashes of water around the back legs that are in shadow so thet are indeed from that statue. It could be thatit's an Asfaloth prototype but there are two things thet makes me not think it is... First of all it looks finished, we all know it takes a lot of time to create a statue like this and I doubt a prototype would go all the way to this stage of sculpting before being "scratched". Secondly I also doubt that Weta didn't think through the pose and initially decided to make a "standing" Asfaloth and not a rearing Asfaloth from this iconic scene. And then there's of course the shape of the saddle horn, more about that below.

Arwen and mystery horse closeup.jpg

Asfaloths saddle have a very simliar shape to the saddle horn but the curvature is a little different, this is a screenshot from the movie when aragorn put's Frodo on Asfaloth.

Arwen Asfaloth saddle 2.jpg

I found an image of what's supposed to be the real Ringwraith saddle

Ringwraiths_sadd.jpg

Here is a comparison side by side, it sure looks more like a Ringwraith saddle then the Asfaloth saddle, though it' doesn't look as "tattered" in the lower edges as it should be...

saddle comparison.jpg

Comment

I would like to have a nazgul army

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
                        I would like to have a nazgul army
                        That would be about $6291

Comment

Gwindor: Most comprehensively posited there!

The saddle horn does indeed look most similar in profile to that of a Ringwraith, Asfaloth's being possessed of a higher arched shape. And the standing pose not merely being a rejected prototype sounds promising, why it almost looks as if one hoof is pawing the water...

Comment

Originally posted by DarkShadow View Post

That would be about $6291
                            Old Nazgul on Steed +a new one would be enough

Comment

I was surprised that nothing was said about that horse because for me it was not the same and for me there is no doubt, even seems to see the straps and washers by the neck.
                              I'd bet we're a new Ringwraith on Steed.

Comment

The breastplate or martingale (don´t know the exact word of this part) on the neck of the horse look like the same on my Nazgul on Steed
                                Last edited by Plat; 11th November 2018, 02:17.

Comment

Even if it's not, I think it's only a matter of time before an updated version comes out for the ongoing "rider" series. As time goes on I see more examples of the previous one go for less on ebay. At an ed. size of 5k which is a lot by today's standards for Weta.

Comment

It would be nice to see a new version of the iconic Sideshow Weta statue,
                                    I unfortunately started collecting pieces after it was already sold out for some time and took the opportunity to buy the new version immediately.

Comment

I was lucky enough to get the old one but I'm not sure if I could refuse a new one that fits with Arwen...

Comment

Haha, you know my answer, I posted my thoughts yesterday in another thread and it sure looks like it to me. If you look at the size of the horse as well, it looks heavier like the ones that carried the Nazgul. Asfaloth in front of it looks to be lighter and more slender. More in keeping of what an elf would ride in my mind. A companion for Arwen in the making?
                                        Last edited by Ithildin; 11th November 2018, 05:48.

Comment

Working...
                                        X