Weta new Ringwraith on Steed: See Page 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pose is really starting to grow on me. However, I am affraid this one will be a difficult to handle one. Moving house would be a nightmare with this.

Comment

I completely agree with crazytrain on this one. A fleeing Ringwraith. Never thought I'd say this, but, wow, I don't like this statue at all. I mean, no offense to Brigitte Wuest and Weta because from a technical and artistic standpoint it's a brilliant statue. Beautiful details, original pose, just amazing work. But to me this is not a companion piece to Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth; it's a companion piece to an upcoming White horses of the Bruinen statue. It's like Lurtz versus Boromir; winner v loser.

Sure, it's a great moment when we witness the seemingly unstoppable Ringwraiths get 'defeated' at the ford. But as a statue? No thanks.

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
      But it's not running away. As mentioned above, the wraith is clearly looking at something to its left, and is directing its steed in the same direction, possibly towards Arwen and Frodo.
      I believe he very clearly is running away. There's way too much speed in this pose to imagine anything else. He's not moving toward or encircling anyone (anymore). He's running away downstream as fast as he can because he's going to get washed away by a huge tidal wave. Yes, he's looking left because he's turning his head because he's in the process of looking back over his shoulder at the oncoming wave and the sculpt captures him doing that, midway.

Even Weta's own text on the product page confirms this:

Mighty though they were, the Ringwraiths had good reason to fear the Bruinen, for it flowed through Elven lands and a powerful enchantment lay upon it. Rising like a wall of stampeding white horses, the river turned wild and threw itself at the Wraiths, putting the Nine to flight as it bore down upon them.
      Sorry guys, but that means fleeing.

It appears that a lot of people don't see it that way though. And perhaps they're right because Weta then goes on to say:

the Wraith’s robes billow out behind as he urges his possessed steed toward the Ringbearer. [...] Near clear, water-effect resin appears to splash up from the River Bruinen, moments before it gives chase to the Nine.
      Which doesn't make sense to me, because where do the billowing speed robes come from if he's just aggressively urging and 'wheeling around'? But what do I know? The most important thing is that you enjoy what you purchase and you purchase what you enjoy. All I know is I'll happily stick with the original RWOS.

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
      I’m wondering when we can stop wondering if a statue is strictly scene specific.
      We can't. Some people like it, some don't. It'll keep happening. Just go with it.
      Last edited by DD; 20th December 2018, 08:50.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

Originally posted by DD View Post
        I completely agree with crazytrain on this one. A fleeing Ringwraith. Never thought I'd say this, but, wow, I don't like this statue at all. I mean, no offense to Brigitte Wuest and Weta because from a technical and artistic standpoint it's a brilliant statue. Beautiful details, original pose, just amazing work. But to me this is not a companion piece to Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth; it's a companion piece to an upcoming White horses of the Bruinen statue. It's like Lurtz versus Boromir; winner v loser.

Sure, it's a great moment when we witness the seemingly unstoppable Ringwraiths get 'defeated' at the ford. But as a statue? No thanks.

I believe he very clearly is running away. There's way too much speed in this pose to imagine anything else. He's not moving toward or encircling anyone (anymore). He's running away downstream as fast as he can because he's going to get washed away by a huge tidal wave. Yes, he's looking left because he's turning his head because he's in the process of looking back over his shoulder at the oncoming wave and the sculpt captures him doing that, midway.

It appears that a lot of people don't see it that way though. So what do I know? The most important thing is that you enjoy what you purchase and you purchase what you enjoy. All I know is I'll happily stick with the original RWOS.

We can't. Some people like it, some don't. It'll keep happening. Just go with it.
        Quotes from their site can be used for every angle though. I could also choose to quote this to proof that he's running towards them:

''At the Ford of the River Bruinen the Ringwraiths caught up with their quarry. Already wounded, Frodo Baggins was close to death and could flee no further. As his black-cowled pursuers prepared to cross the river and claim him, the Hobbit’s protector, Arwen, called upon the waters of her father’s realm.''

It just depends on how you want to look at it. It may be that that was their goal all along. For some people it's running away, for some it's running towards them. It can be seen from many perspectives, which is a plus. In my eyes he's running towards them, but I just rewatched the scene and it could be seen from both angles.

You say it's not a companion piece, but why is that? They're obviously in the same scene. Both statues are in the water. It would be easy to place them next to eachother in a fitting way imo. What more do you need for it to be a companion piece? Not meant as an offensive question, but I'm just trying to understand the sentiment if that's okay

Comment

the Wraith’s robes billow out behind as he urges his possessed steed toward the Ringbearer.

that says it all for me....

Comment

Well i suppose looking again at the stance the wraith looks like its in a fast riding postion but the horse looks like it could be either galloping or cantering depending how you see it

as for myself i do like movie acurate
            And i would have preferred the wraith similar stance to arwens horse as they square up against her whilst entering the water

but let take this statue the proto looks fricking awsome the detail in the horse especially the eyes are amazing weta 2018 statues have really raised the detail i just hope 2019 they get the customer service better

Comment

Actually just watched the ford clip and as the horses preceed forward into the water the lead wraith does look very similar to the stance of the statue and for me when the water rushes down and they ride off it doesnt look like the statue at all so id have to go with a ford display

either way i wants one or 9

Comment

It appears that a lot of people don't see it that way though. And perhaps they're right because Weta then goes on to say:

Which doesn't make sense to me, because where do the billowing speed robes come from if he's just aggressively urging and 'wheeling around'? But what do I know? The most important thing is that you enjoy what you purchase and you purchase what you enjoy. All I know is I'll happily stick with the original RWOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post
                  It just depends on how you want to look at it. It may be that that was their goal all along. For some people it's running away, for some it's running towards them. It can be seen from many perspectives, which is a plus. In my eyes he's running towards them, but I just rewatched the scene and it could be seen from both angles.
                  Nice, so it works for everyone.

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post
                  You say it's not a companion piece, but why is that? They're obviously in the same scene. Both statues are in the water. It would be easy to place them next to eachother in a fitting way imo. What more do you need for it to be a companion piece? Not meant as an offensive question, but I'm just trying to understand the sentiment if that's okay
                  No worries, I don't mind.

You're right of course, they're both obviously from the same scene so they're perfect companion pieces in that sense. But what I meant is that, because of the way I see the statue - namely fleeing - there's an imbalance if you put them together. To me there's no excitement if you pair them up, no tension, because the moment - the confrontation - is actually already over. Like Star wars vs lotr says, I would also have preferred a Wraith statue from the moment they face off against Arwen across the water because that (again, in my opinion) is the best, most exciting moment within the entire Ford sequence; you're coming off the incredible chase scene, the Wraiths are at their most menacing, they've caught up, all nine of them are there, they're relentless, the Witch king makes his demand, Arwen defies him, the Wraiths draw swords and advance into the water... The whole thing is freakin' awesome and we all love it (Well, except Idril of course ) And that's what I would want my Ringwraith at the Ford statue to remind me of - not the part where he gets his a** handed to him by Enchanted Elvish water. Again, this is what I see so it's also very much my problem.

Originally posted by Star wars vs lotr View Post
                  as for myself i do like movie acurate
                  And i would have preferred the wraith similar stance to arwens horse as they square up against her whilst entering the water

Well i suppose looking again at the stance the wraith looks like its in a fast riding postion but the horse looks like it could be either galloping or cantering depending how you see it
                  And that's the part that throws the whole thing off for me: the suggestion of speed. If I buy it then I'll have the statue on my shelf, not the clip from the movie on repeat that shows the pose could also be from the part where he's not yet fleeing. No, all I'd have to work with is the statue itself and the sculpt clearly says speed to me. And Speed + Water = fleeing from the wave. And then I'm like

Actually just watched the ford clip and as the horses preceed forward into the water the lead wraith does look very similar to the stance of the statue and for me when the water rushes down and they ride off it doesnt look like the statue at all so id have to go with a ford display
                  Cool. I'm sure that'll work for everyone who's excited about this statue and I'm glad. Sadly it doesn't change my perception of the sculpt so it's still a pass for me.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

I can see everyone’s point of view on this, I can’t escape the feeling there’s just too much going on pose wise, the cloak bothers me somewhat, from certain angles it looks great but from others it’s confused to my eye.
                    Cant believe I’m saying this about a new RWOS but I’ll be sticking with the original.............
                    (i think )

Comment

Nice, so it works for everyone.

No worries, I don't mind.

You're right of course, they're both obviously from the same scene so they're perfect companion pieces in that sense. But what I meant is that, because of the way I see the statue - namely fleeing - there's an imbalance if you put them together. To me there's no excitement if you pair them up, no tension, because the moment - the confrontation - is actually already over. Like Star wars vs lotr says, I would also have preferred a Wraith statue from the moment they face off against Arwen across the water because that (again, in my opinion) is the best, most exciting moment within the entire Ford sequence; you're coming off the incredible chase scene, the Wraiths are at their most menacing, they've caught up, all nine of them are there, they're relentless, the Witch king makes his demand, Arwen defies him, the Wraiths draw swords and advance into the water... The whole thing is freakin' awesome and we all love it (Well, except Idril of course ) And that's what I would want my Ringwraith at the Ford statue to remind me of - not the part where he gets his a** handed to him by Enchanted Elvish water. Again, this is what I see so it's also very much my problem.

And that's the part that throws the whole thing off for me: the suggestion of speed. If I buy it then I'll have the statue on my shelf, not the clip from the movie on repeat that shows the pose could also be from the part where he's not yet fleeing. No, all I'd have to work with is the statue itself and the sculpt clearly says speed to me. And Speed + Water = fleeing from the wave. And then I'm like

Cool. I'm sure that'll work for everyone who's excited about this statue and I'm glad. Sadly it doesn't change my perception of the sculpt so it's still a pass for me.

Thank you for that explanation, I totally get you now! It makes perfect sense.

Comment

I will pre order this, making it my first villain piece on horseback. What month can we expect pre orders this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty80 View Post
                          I will pre order this, making it my first villain piece on horseback. What month can we expect pre orders this year.
                          January

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post

January
                            and

I guess that does explain why certain websites already have a "notify me" option going

Comment

I hope he becomes available AFTER Arwen is charged. If I am ordering this I could certainly use those Weta dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post

and

I guess that does explain why certain websites already have a "notify me" option going
                                That is right

Comment

So cool,thanks to the guy who post it

Comment

Deep within the rock, they buried him. In a tomb so dark, it would never come to light

Comment

The horse is grotesque, but the whole thing look very cool.

Comment

What an amazing piece! The angle of the horse is even more pronounced than previous pics led on. I just love how dynamic this is as it makes for a perfect contrast to the original static posed RWOS. Must own!

Comment

What thing that bothers me is that piece of water on the front leg looks like the horse is slipping due to ice.

I can't unsee it.
                                          Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

Working...
                                          X