Weta new Ringwraith on Steed: See Page 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atomsk View Post
    I doubt the design was based around a Ringwraith running away. Considering the wraith has his sword drawn in a threatening manner and is maneuvering the horse in the direction he himself is facing, I would say he is attempting to encircle his pray.
    But that doesn't happen in the film...

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain View Post

But that doesn't happen in the film...
      You're right, but I don't think they were looking for 100% film accuracy here. The Ringwraiths at the river is an iconic scene and this is simply a chance to explore that scene a little further in a dynamic way. I consider it a moment before they realize the river is being brought down upon them. That's my takeaway anyway.

Comment

You're right, but I don't think they were looking for 100% film accuracy here. The Ringwraiths at the river is an iconic scene and this is simply a chance to explore that scene a little further in a dynamic way. I consider it a moment before they realize the river is being brought down upon them. That's my takeaway anyway.
        I'm glad you like it :-) It just does nothing for me...

Comment

easy PO for me. love anything Ringwraith.

Comment

I'm glad you like it :-) It just does nothing for me...
            Personal taste aside, I was just throwing in my interpretation of the design and what I perceived the intended direction may have been. Not sure it's even something I need in my collection.

Comment

I doubt the design was based around a Ringwraith running away. Considering the wraith has his sword drawn in a threatening manner and is maneuvering the horse in the direction he himself is facing, I would say he is attempting to encircle his pray.
              My reading of the sculpt says it is exactly the running away scene. The first wraith on the right in this image looks just like it. The water and the panic on the horse face corroborate.

image_7957.jpg

Comment

I’m wondering when we can stop wondering if a statue is strictly scene specific. We also had this debate with Grishnakh. Hell, you could go back to the old SSW days and criticise Aragorn at the black gates as he never rode his horse into battle there. In fact the horses disappeared completely!
                But anyway, it’s plain Weta aren’t too worried about being exact. It’s more about artistic license and representing the character in an iconic way. Which this does very well.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post

My reading of the sculpt says it is exactly the running away scene. The first wraith on the right in this image looks just like it. The water and the panic on the horse face corroborate.

image_7957.jpg
                  Except that wraith on the right is looking forward and is mot definitely running away. The sculpt on the other hand is looking to his left. If Weta was looking to recreate that specific action/pose why change the direction he is facing and raise his sword in a more menacing manner?

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                    I’m wondering when we can stop wondering if a statue is strictly scene specific. We also had this debate with Grishnakh. Hell, you could go back to the old SSW days and criticise Aragorn at the black gates as he never rode his horse into battle there. In fact the horses disappeared completely!
                    But anyway, it’s plain Weta aren’t too worried about being exact. It’s more about artistic license and representing the character in an iconic way. Which this does very well.
                    Agreed.

Comment

Foruns a supposed to stimulate debate otherwise wetanz.com is enough. The 1/6 line is all about accuracy to screen IMO. Bases can be excused if the subject is spot-on. However In this case the base, horse and wraith perfectly match the scene.

Comment

I would like to see a little less cape on this one. For some reason, I get a tinge of Mini Epics vibe on this one. Don’t get me wrong, this is incredible, but there’s a lot going on here. I think my view on it is like others. The original RWoS is a menacing, dark statue and I love that. This one is very dynamic which is awesome, but takes a little bit away from the darkness of that of a Ringwraith.

Comment

Nazgûl at breakneck speed on steed, either running at his prey or running from the power of the Eldar is going to have a lot of cape.

When I first that this, to me he was homing in on what he's after. Neck bent to look directly at Frodo with sword raised high ready to strike, yanking the horse's head in the same direction. A little water is risk enough to get what Sauron wants.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by P.C.E.; 18th December 2018, 14:25.

Comment

Not sure why it's a problem that some people want to have pieces made that are film accurate. If I had my choice, I would prefer that myself. If some people would prefer pieces with more artistic license than film accuracy, why should I care or think that they should be quiet and not post their feelings on this forum? I thought that everyone's polite opinions were welcome here.

Comment

Finally, I think this will be my first LotR statue and probably the last one because of space issues.

Comment

But anyway, it’s plain Weta aren’t too worried about being exact. It’s more about artistic license and representing the character in an iconic way.
                                Personally, I don't see running away as 'iconic'...

Comment

Personally, I don't see running away as 'iconic'...
                                  But it's not running away. As mentioned above, the wraith is clearly looking at something to its left, and is directing its steed in the same direction, possibly towards Arwen and Frodo.

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Not sure why it's a problem that some people want to have pieces made that are film accurate. If I had my choice, I would prefer that myself. If some people would prefer pieces with more artistic license than film accuracy, why should I care or think that they should be quiet and not post their feelings on this forum? I thought that everyone's polite opinions were welcome here.
                                  You can want whatever you want. The evidence is that Weta don't really mind if their statues are screenshot accurate or not, as long as they capture the essence of the character. Sometimes they do an exact copy of a scene, sometimes they don't, but people seem to take so much time wondering precisely which second the moment was taken from. Just enjoy the statue for what it is. If it evokes a memory of a favourite scene, then great.
                                  Last edited by Minuialwen; 19th December 2018, 00:40. Reason: Merged

Comment

But it's not running away. As mentioned above, the wraith is clearly looking at something to its left, and is directing its steed in the same direction, possibly towards Arwen and Frodo.

You can want whatever you want. The evidence is that Weta don't really mind if their statues are screenshot accurate or not, as long as they capture the essence of the character. Sometimes they do an exact copy of a scene, sometimes they don't, but people seem to take so much time wondering precisely which second the moment was taken from. Just enjoy the statue for what it is. If it evokes a memory of a favourite scene, then great.
                                    I'm with you. It's obvious to me that the wraith is running towards Arwen and Frodo. But I guess everyone sees it differently and that's okay.

I buy statues for the characters. They don't have to match 100% to the movie scenes. That said; again, to me it's obvious that this statue is from that particular scene. Maybe we never saw this money shot on camera, but it's not like the wraiths didn't move off-camera. But to each their own

Comment

If anything, the close up shot of that horse's eye does a good job of showing fear, so I'm in the camp that it's running away from that horse wave. Kudos to Brigitte for showing fear in a horse's face!
                                      Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

If you want a 100% film accuracy, I think you are better off taking a sceen shot , have it professionally printed, and framed.... there you go lol

I think statues should be an accurate representation of the charter in the film (or book) but poses and dioramas are 100% subjective.

If if we just want to cut/ paste from the movie, then Weta shouldn’t hire sculptors ... just mass producers from China selling the exact pose from the movie. ... how fun that will be..

I can understand the preference for film accuracy, but if the statue is a great representation of the world of Tolkien without open a book or watching a movie .. I am all for it.... I’m addtion if the sculpt and paint is good too lol ????

Comment

Originally posted by Bslayer8 View Post
                                          If you want a 100% film accuracy, I think you are better off taking a sceen shot , have it professionally printed, and framed.... there you go lol

I think statues should be an accurate representation of the charter in the film (or book) but poses and dioramas are 100% subjective.

If if we just want to cut/ paste from the movie, then Weta shouldn’t hire sculptors ... just mass producers from China selling the exact pose from the movie. ... how fun that will be..

I can understand the preference for film accuracy, but if the statue is a great representation of the world of Tolkien without open a book or watching a movie .. I am all for it.... I’m addtion if the sculpt and paint is good too lol ????
                                          Well said!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X