X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First day po!
    I like everything now of this statue.

Comment

Wonder if the ES will be north of the established 750 on Riders for this one? I could certainly see this being more popular than most. Possibly even selling along the same lines as ToE.

Comment

What an amazing statue!!! Weta is getting better and better

Comment

No PO for me, still working for TB. I am not sure if what comes next, this or Arwen...

Comment

As long as the price isn't ridiculous I'm all in, got some Weta $'s to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Radagaster View Post
              What thing that bothers me is that piece of water on the front leg looks like the horse is slipping due to ice.

I can't unsee it.
              I wonder if that water coming off the front hoof is detachable? Giving you the option to display it with it or without it.

Comment

i like the pose and the statue - i absolutely hate the water effect

Comment

I'm in two minds now. In certain pictures it looks Amazing but in others I get the impression something's just not quite right but I can't put my finger on it

Comment

I think the sculpting on the horse is masterful. The anatomy and musculature, it's really impressive work.

The sense of motion is believable and flows naturally.

Brigitte Wuest just has to be one of the very best sculptors Weta has, it really isn't surprising she was head sculptor on all 3 LOTR movies. Her Faramir sculpt in particular is one of my favourite statues.

I recently managed to find the original SSW RWOS, but I think this new version is great for those ordering the new Arwen on Asfaloth, or for dynamic statue fans, it's really quite remarkable

Now we just need someone to sculpt the wave of white horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Valar View Post
                      I think the sculpting on the horse is masterful. The anatomy and musculature, it's really impressive work.

The sense of motion is believable and flows naturally.

Brigitte Wuest just has to be one of the very best sculptors Weta has, it really isn't surprising she was head sculptor on all 3 LOTR movies. Her Faramir sculpt in particular is one of my favourite statues.

I recently managed to find the original SSW RWOS, but I think this new version is great for those ordering the new Arwen on Asfaloth, or for dynamic statue fans, it's really quite remarkable

Now we just need someone to sculpt the wave of white horses!
                      Agreed!

And Kyle!

Comment

Looks great, curious to see if it will have the same price as Arwen (or higher...) and what the edition size will be.

Comment

I am curious as to why some people preffer the original statue. Maybe from a collectors point of view it may be more attractive since its older, but old sodeshow statues cant be compared in detail to the new weta ones. The paintjob and sculpting details compete in different leagues imo. I have to admit I might like the original positioning more tho.

Comment

Originally posted by surface33 View Post
                            I am curious as to why some people preffer the original statue. Maybe from a collectors point of view it may be more attractive since its older, but old sodeshow statues cant be compared in detail to the new weta ones. The paintjob and sculpting details compete in different leagues imo. I have to admit I might like the original positioning more tho.
                            As you mentioned yourself, the pose of the original makes the statue have such a presence that a newer version is up for very hard competition even if the level of detail is higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Radagaster View Post
                              What thing that bothers me is that piece of water on the front leg looks like the horse is slipping due to ice.

I can't unsee it.
                              Same here. The statue itself looks incredible, but it's not for me. There are several other statues I'd prefer to get over this one if I had the money.

Comment

Originally posted by surface33 View Post
                                Well it’s not a Sideshow sculpted statue, it’s also sculpted by Weta. So a sculptor who worked on the movie sculpted it, just as they have with this new one, so I would argue the details will be just as good.
                                Sure the paint job may be better but it’s not always the case. The most iconic images of the Ringwraith on steed are those where it’s stalking Frodo throughout the Shire, and the original captures that.
                                Plus I already own it so don’t need to spend £650 on a new one

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

Well it’s not a Sideshow sculpted statue, it’s also sculpted by Weta. So a sculptor who worked on the movie sculpted it, just as they have with this new one, so I would argue the details will be just as good.
                                  Sure the paint job may be better but it’s not always the case. The most iconic images of the Ringwraith on steed are those where it’s stalking Frodo throughout the Shire, and the original captures that.
                                  Well said. As an owner of the original as well I however feel drawn to this new one. Would probably make more sense to direct my funds to characters I don’t already own but the RW’s are right up there with the Balrog as my favorite M.E. character designs, so it’s tough to resist.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post

Well said. As an owner of the original as well I however feel drawn to this new one. Would probably make more sense to direct my funds to characters I don’t already own but the RW’s are right up there with the Balrog as my favorite M.E. character designs, so it’s tough to resist.
                                    Ben Wootten, who was a concept designer on the LOTR movies, is/was also a sculptor and he sculpted the Ringwraith on Steed statue. He was also heavily involved in the design of the Balrog and sculpted several design maquettes of it as well as the Daddy Balrog statue.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post

Agreed!

And Kyle!
                                      Funny story. At my school, senior year, you had to do something called a senior project, it was something you worked on most of the year, and to graduate, you needed to pass the project, which included a public speech, a paper, and a project. Well, I decided to do my project on The Hero's Journey, and it fit in with LotR, so that is what everything was based on. Long story slightly less long, my project was a set of dioramas based on events in the movies/books (FotR had only just come out in theaters) that correlated with the hero's journey, and one of those dioramas was the wave of horses!

Now just to stay on topic, looking at the water, I wonder what it would have looked like if it was set in the base, instead of sitting on top, kind of like the Gollum statue.

Comment

Still got it Kyle? It would be cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwindor View Post
                                          Ben Wootten, who was a concept designer on the LOTR movies, is/was also a sculptor and he sculpted the Ringwraith on Steed statue. He was also heavily involved in the design of the Balrog and sculpted several design maquettes of it as well as the Daddy Balrog statue.
                                          Dude’s got skills!

Comment

Working...
                                          X