The Witch-King and Frodo at Weathertop 1:6 scale statue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
    Valar, here's the bit that bothers me about what has become a commonly accepted 'justification' for the high price: the whole "back to the drawing board" bit.

    I'm sorry, but while I certainly understand how all the additional hours of R&D stack up, it's a bit unfair to unload the price of their failures on us, the customers. Yes, someone has to pay for all that extra time and work, but how is that our fault? If they brought us along for the whole ride and it was our input that resulted in the removal of the fallen statue, the Witch-king's reworked stance, or Frodo being carried on mist, then sure, we are responsible for the delays and should bear the costs of them trying to please us. However, that's not what happened, so why are we paying a theoretical extra $150 for delays that they created? Not fair.

    This is all conjecture, of course, as we have no real idea why this costs what it does. Could be as simple as someone deciding that yeah, this was as good a time as any to raise prices again. What I find perplexing is that the excuse of "well, it took longer to get it right" has become our unasked for cost to bear, and that people can just shrug that off as ok.
    One thing for sure, there is some serious competition coming through now in terms of LotR merch so maybe we will see some realistic pricing as I have always felt the R+D aspect is a smoke screen for price gouging. They have been doing this kind of stuff for years so know what does and doesn't work, hence no real need for 'figuring it out' or 'trying new methods/materials'.

    Comment



      Yes it is a vicious cycle and many still pressed the order button even though we know that the price is not justified. As I said without the gold status I would not have bought but if this continues the gold status will lose its advantage at some point time.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

        One thing for sure, there is some serious competition coming through now in terms of LotR merch so maybe we will see some realistic pricing as I have always felt the R+D aspect is a smoke screen for price gouging.
        Yes there is new competition in town and if Weta isn't already aware of it, it will be to their folly.

        That competition is making amazing pieces with substantially lower pricing. They have already siphoned off $3000 from me that would have gone to Weta. Weta's monopoly has ended. Like all monopolies, they have charged whatever they wanted to because it's always been the "take it or leave it" attitude to the customer. And when your a LOTR poly addict, "leaving it" wasn't really much of an option, was it? Now with new competition entering the market, the customer has been empowered to turn the "take it or leave it" into "take this and shove it" if they don't like what they are seeing. The customer now has options. I've been a customer of Weta's for a very long time but that doesn't mean that I have to be a loyal costumer to the point that I can be bent over the back of a chair that keeps getting higher and higher and not complain about it or decide that it has gone on long enough. With the new competition I can now stop bending over that chair and take my business somewhere else, where I feel that I am getting more value for my hard earned money and indeed I have.

        The long monopoly is over and if Weta doesn't make some serious adjustments to their pricing, in my opinion, they are going find themselves with a big problem with sales in the future. If Weta wants by business they will have to earn it, rather then having it because they were the only game in town.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
          Valar, here's the bit that bothers me about what has become a commonly accepted 'justification' for the high price: the whole "back to the drawing board" bit.

          I'm sorry, but while I certainly understand how all the additional hours of R&D stack up, it's a bit unfair to unload the price of their failures on us, the customers. Yes, someone has to pay for all that extra time and work, but how is that our fault? If they brought us along for the whole ride and it was our input that resulted in the removal of the fallen statue, the Witch-king's reworked stance, or Frodo being carried on mist, then sure, we are responsible for the delays and should bear the costs of them trying to please us. However, that's not what happened, so why are we paying a theoretical extra $150 for delays that they created? Not fair.

          This is all conjecture, of course, as we have no real idea why this costs what it does. Could be as simple as someone deciding that yeah, this was as good a time as any to raise prices again. What I find perplexing is that the excuse of "well, it took longer to get it right" has become our unasked for cost to bear, and that people can just shrug that off as ok.


          Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

          One thing for sure, there is some serious competition coming through now in terms of LotR merch so maybe we will see some realistic pricing as I have always felt the R+D aspect is a smoke screen for price gouging. They have been doing this kind of stuff for years so know what does and doesn't work, hence no real need for 'figuring it out' or 'trying new methods/materials'.

          I most respectfully disagree. For me, I will always want to pay extra money for the extra work and rework Weta finds necessary to match their vision and artistic integrity. In this case mostly Richard Taylor's.

          As he said "I think it's a great testament to the fact that we don't want to just settle on something if we don't feel it's working, and everyone's willing to go the extra mile and get it right".


          As for the "competition", for me there is no competition. They are the artistic power house that gave us the films.

          It would be "kind of" like having someone else drawing a Picasso that was better than Picasso. Even if it was, would you buy it? Maybe this "new" Picasso would be cheaper because he would not do rework on his art.

          Please take this personal opinion as constructive for conversation, we are all collectors here.

          Comment


            Originally posted by efraga View Post

            As for the "competition", for me there is no competition. They are the artistic power house that gave us the films.

            It would be "kind of" like having someone else drawing a Picasso that was better than Picasso. Even if it was, would you buy it? Maybe this "new" Picasso would be cheaper because he would not do rework on his art.

            Please take this personal opinion as constructive for conversation, we are all collectors here.

            I get that Weta did work on our beloved films but a lot of the artists that make the pieces that we collect now were not working at Weta during that time and never worked on the LOTR films. Yes, it might be Picasso's art studio but Picasso a lot of the time is not the one making the art that you and I are collecting. If an artist that never worked on the films can work at Weta and create beautiful LOTR art, I have no problem with an artist that never worked on the films creating beautiful LOTR art at another company. Weta has capitalized on "buy from us because we worked on the films" and in my opinion, that was very true with the art that came out in the early years while the films were being released and shortly after but for me that statement just doesn't hold as much water as it use to. When the band Journey comes to town with only one original band member, are they really the band Journey or are they just a tribute band?

            Anyways, to each their own and I totally respect your thoughts and feelings on how you collect.

            Comment


              Originally posted by efraga View Post






              I most respectfully disagree. For me, I will always want to pay extra money for the extra work and rework Weta finds necessary to match their vision and artistic integrity. In this case mostly Richard Taylor's.

              As he said "I think it's a great testament to the fact that we don't want to just settle on something if we don't feel it's working, and everyone's willing to go the extra mile and get it right".


              As for the "competition", for me there is no competition. They are the artistic power house that gave us the films.

              It would be "kind of" like having someone else drawing a Picasso that was better than Picasso. Even if it was, would you buy it? Maybe this "new" Picasso would be cheaper because he would not do rework on his art.

              Please take this personal opinion as constructive for conversation, we are all collectors here.

              Well if Picasso had started retweaking his own creations and doubled the price saying he 'didn't feel it was working' and he was 'going the extra mile' by re-working a piece he is already very familiar with after creating it, then maybe he wouldn't have been so popular
              Weta created the characters and creatures looks for the films which are undeniably brilliant, but they don't own the rights to them hence why there is competition. And it is this competition that has to do the R+D and put the time in to create something similar yet wholly different which they are doing, yet not inflating the prices. It simply boils down to the fact that there is LotR film based items coming onto the market that is causing great excitement, looks really good and is reasonably priced.
              There is no right or wrong in this as it is down to personal views but I can agree that Weta and RT set the standards bar but the new kids are looking to raise it

              Comment


                efraga, I absolutely accept your opinion as constructive criticism in the interest of conversation. It is how I hope my opinions/criticisms come across as well

                Having said that, I'm sticking to my perception on this despite your equally valid and personal reasons for feeling the opposite. For me, it boils down to me not having the input that dictates these numerous changes that themselves potentially result in higher prices.

                Case in point is that many here, after viewing those two videos on this statue, expressed their preference for having the fallen statue remain behind. What that this tells me is that the final statue does not represent a collector consensus on 'what feels right', despite what Richard Taylor would have us believe. It comes down to his decision and his interpretation of what the statue should look like, not ours. Of course that 100% consensus is impossible to achieve, but if they are going to have these constant and expensive revisions, maybe they need to confine those to the drawing stage, when all you're wasting is paper and pencil.

                Ultimately, regardless of what we're willing to spend, it shouldn't be up to your or me to fund the mistakes and changes of mind made by others. The day they poll us at every design stage of a piece, then I'll accept that it is our decisions that are driving up the price with extra charges, not theirs. Thankfully, I'm not naive enough to think that will ever happen.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Elessar View Post


                  Yeah, it felt like your post was like LOTR kind of sucks and so do these collectibles. So it’s like why are you here again? I’ve just seen too many folks do just that. If that’s not the case then sorry. I will 1k% disagree with you on the films. All three are about as perfect as you’ll find in cinema. There’s a reason they were nominated and won so many awards and have such a following. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I know folks who like certain films that I think are trash. I understand that. I wouldn’t collect something I wasn’t fully into. I don’t think that happens with Weta. Sure some issues happen but I don’t think the view is we hope we get a good one with every piece.
                  Well said. There are NO films that one can view dozens of times and they still have the same impact of the first viewing. The LOTR films are just as great today as they were when they came out.

                  Watch CITIZEN KANE thirty times and tell me if there were not painfully slow and tedious spots. Watch WIZARD OF OZ and try to convince me that Judy Garland was the perfect Dorothy and not a way too old Holywood debutante that seriously hurts the story. Every film has spots like that.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by gideon View Post

                    Well said. There are NO films that one can view dozens of times and they still have the same impact of the first viewing. The LOTR films are just as great today as they were when they came out.

                    Watch CITIZEN KANE thirty times and tell me if there were not painfully slow and tedious spots. Watch WIZARD OF OZ and try to convince me that Judy Garland was the perfect Dorothy and not a way too old Holywood debutante that seriously hurts the story. Every film has spots like that.
                    Yeah the LOTR films are for me that rare film that grip me as much now as they did when I first saw them. They’re very much I find in a class by themselves.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Dcole4 View Post
                      he didn't say they'd both be from FOTR but I think it's safe to say Lothlorian will finally be arriving next year. Seems like it's been high on collector's lists and, with the higher prices/quality, Weta is in a better position to make such a complicated piece work.

                      Personally I hope the second environment is Gundabad. I love that design so much. I feel like even with the LOTR anniversaries they need to keep fans of both trilogies happy.

                      Although an update on any of the LOTR environments they did in the sideshow era would be welcome haha.
                      I wonder if the two environments next year are from FOTR, as it's the 20 year anniversary, and they could be something from Lothlorien, and also the ruined Hobbiton mill, then Weta can sell them as being linked as the mill is seen in the mirror of Galadriel, so they will hope that people will think if they get one, they must get the other, and thus maybe ease any worries Weta has about selling what would otherwise be a very niche environment. I wonder this given Leonard's cryptic words about it when discussing the Hobbiton mill and bridge environment.
                      Maybe in that case, the area of Lorien they will do as an environment will be Galadriels glade? Would go nicely also with the Dark Queen statue!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Elessar View Post

                        Yeah the LOTR films are for me that rare film that grip me as much now as they did when I first saw them. They’re very much I find in a class by themselves.
                        I have that with the Harry Potter films, aswell as some animation movies. LOTR/Hobbit films are close behind. Some movies just don’t get old. That said; there were a few years where I though the LOTR trilogy was overrated. A few years later I changed my mind. People change, opinions change

                        Comment


                          I have preordered it in SharpEdge collection website ! Can't wait to received it !

                          Comment


                            That shop is very good !! I can only recommend!!!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by bishop View Post
                              That shop is very good !! I can only recommend!!!
                              First time i buy there but i have seen only good review , i am waiting to see if he will received the Prime 1 Aragorn and Balrog vs Gandalf

                              Comment


                                Still 16 left .... who knows how long they will last

                                Comment


                                  16 - > sell out -> 25 -> sell out -> 5 .... -> gone for good seems to be the behavior.

                                  Comment


                                    SOLD OUT!!

                                    Comment


                                      Well, that's the end of that dilemma for some of us...


                                      ... until Black Friday sale

                                      ... or Boxing Day sale

                                      ... or Stocktake sale

                                      ... or however else Weta always somehow manages to find a few unsold statues magically lying around.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Idril View Post
                                        SOLD OUT!!
                                        Pretty amazing. Congrats to all that got one.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                                          Well, that's the end of that dilemma for some of us...


                                          ... until Black Friday sale

                                          ... or Boxing Day sale

                                          ... or Stocktake sale

                                          ... or however else Weta always somehow manages to find a few unsold statues magically lying around.
                                          Or you can try and bid on #1 in a few years
                                          https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X