Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth - 1:6 scale statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stig View Post

It's not that hard really. I cancelled my credit card years back and don't have the funds to buy anything on a whim.
    I've never even had a credit card, only the debit card, so not an option for me either!

Comment

1EF02667-55DD-46EB-9C8D-2CC36DFD7552.jpeg Got mine. Love it overall, but there is something really weird going on on Arwen’s face on the left side. Really disappointed. Wrote to Weta and waiting for a reply.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by undomiel View Post
        Got mine. Love it overall, but there is something really weird going on on Arwen’s face on the left side. Really disappointed. Wrote to Weta and waiting for a reply.
        You mean the 'spots'?

Originally posted by gideon View Post
        I find myself in the same place that lots of us long time collectors find themselves.

First, I have a ton of stuff - it fills a room that measures thirty by thirty and that does not count the boxes and boxes and boxes of undisplayed stuff like the Armies of Middle Earth toys that I have a complete set of or far too many posters to display. So when a new version comes out of some character I already have, it has to really be something special.

Second, having gotten in on the ground floor with SS over a decade and a half ago, the prices today are always a bit of a shock to the system no matter what I tell myself about quality increasing and lesser edition numbers. There comes a point where you just ask yourself if you should spend the 600 for a new washing machine that you need or another statue that joins a hundred others?

Third, I am simply running out of space to display anything these days. I will NOT take over parts of the house and violate my agreement with my wife. So its either in my large finished basement or it stays in the box and it seems silly to keep something as gorgeous as Arwen on Asfolath in a box and not properly display it.

Originally posted by Elessar View Post
        I agree 100%. I’ve got to get some stuff sold. I am absolutely out of room. Heck poor Gamling hasn’t even gotten out of the box because I have no place to put him. I always hate selling stuff but you have to prioritize things sometimes, and we’re talking about moving closer to my nephew so it will help in that regard.

Space. The collector's bane.

Like most of us I'm also out of room. I was lucky enough to score a few extra cabinets recently but that was just too manage the existing overflow. Now I'm back to just 'plain full'.But I love my collection and how it's displayed and I don't want to sell anything. I also don't want to have it spilling over into other rooms and have it eventually dominate the house. So I'm thinking of using a rotation system for future pieces. A few months on display and then back in the box and then open another. So Haldir will have to share the same spot with the Galadhrim archer. Better than having stuff in boxes for years on end, right?

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

Originally posted by DD View Post

You mean the 'spots'?
          Yup. The spots.

Comment

1EF02667-55DD-46EB-9C8D-2CC36DFD7552.jpeg Got mine. Love it overall, but there is something really weird going on on Arwen’s face on the left side. Really disappointed. Wrote to Weta and waiting for a reply.
            Oh my goodness, that's not good undomiel. I hope you get some satisfaction from Weta.

Comment

Originally posted by bill59 View Post

Oh my goodness, that's not good undomiel. I hope you get some satisfaction from Weta.
              Thanks - I may or may not have cried a little haha. Been looking forward to this piece for years, before I even knew if it would become a thing and managed to afford it by some miracle with a new puppy, a wedding, a honeymoon, and a new house because of how important this was to me. I just have no idea how this passed quality control.

Comment

Thanks - I may or may not have cried a little haha. Been looking forward to this piece for years, before I even knew if it would become a thing and managed to afford it by some miracle with a new puppy, a wedding, a honeymoon, and a new house because of how important this was to me. I just have no idea how this passed quality control.
                Yes, it makes one wonder just how good the quality control is these days .

I feel your pain .

Comment

I'm sure we'll all keep our fingers crossed for you undomiel.

Comment

You mean the 'spots'?

Like most of us I'm also out of room. I was lucky enough to score a few extra cabinets recently but that was just too manage the existing overflow. Now I'm back to just 'plain full'.But I love my collection and how it's displayed and I don't want to sell anything. I also don't want to have it spilling over into other rooms and have it eventually dominate the house. So I'm thinking of using a rotation system for future pieces. A few months on display and then back in the box and then open another. So Haldir will have to share the same spot with the Galadhrim archer. Better than having stuff in boxes for years on end, right?
                    Its a solution we all deal with.

Recently my wife and I went to visit a friend who lives in a house that must be at least 4,500 sq and that is NOT counting a full finished basement with walk out sliding doors that is probably at least another 1500 sq feet.

On the way home she says "I am glad we do not have that much space ... I would not know what to do with it".

Now I have been married to this woman since 1971 so I wisely said nothing.

But I do know what I would do with that space. Probably the same as you would.

Comment

I’m thinking that may be something I could end up doing is maybe rotating things but boxing stuff up always makes me nervous. So I don’t know.

Comment

undomiel So far the Weta cs hasn't disappointed me, so hopefully they will pull through for you as well

Comment

undomiel sorry to hear this. In my experience Weta is always very good at solving problems, so all will be alright I believe.

Comment

Oh well you got me at least i didnt go for the 300 deal id pribably get spartans

Comment

Not good...nope...

Comment

There are some people on FB getting this statue with a crack on Asfaloth's left back leg. Sad to see so many problems on such an anticipated piece. I hope Weta send replacements.

Comment

I'm sure we'll all keep our fingers crossed for you undomiel.
                                  Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
                                  undomiel So far the Weta cs hasn't disappointed me, so hopefully they will pull through for you as well
                                  Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                                  undomiel sorry to hear this. In my experience Weta is always very good at solving problems, so all will be alright I believe.
                                  Originally posted by Adolfo View Post

Not good...nope...
                                  Thanks so much for all of the support/hope! I heard back from Weta and will be getting a replacement sent. They managed to solve the issue in less than a day, "for which I am very thankful," in the words of my favorite wizard. Hoping it will get here in the next couple of weeks. So grateful they're so helpful there.

I wonder if down they will consider doing the head sculpts as a separate piece that then gets attached - I have five premium format figures from Sideshow Collectibles (Arwen, as well as some comic book ladies), and 4/5 of them have head sculpts that are removable. It's much easier to do replacements - and to paint, as well, I would imagine - if collectibles like this came in pieces you could assemble and get parts replaced vs. the bulk of it like what has to be done with mine because of a facial defect.

Comment

Thanks so much for all of the support/hope! I heard back from Weta and will be getting a replacement sent. They managed to solve the issue in less than a day, "for which I am very thankful," in the words of my favorite wizard. Hoping it will get here in the next couple of weeks. So grateful they're so helpful there.

I wonder if down they will consider doing the head sculpts as a separate piece that then gets attached - I have five premium format figures from Sideshow Collectibles (Arwen, as well as some comic book ladies), and 4/5 of them have head sculpts that are removable. It's much easier to do replacements - and to paint, as well, I would imagine - if collectibles like this came in pieces you could assemble and get parts replaced vs. the bulk of it like what has to be done with mine because of a facial defect.
                                    The head sculpts are fine...its the paint apps that need to be better ...that's it when it comes to getting these resin faces improved and satisfactory

Comment

I borrowed a couple of your photos bill.

I just wonder, when it comes to elf faces, if it wouldn't be better to go back to the old non-resin faces.

I think the paint on Tauriel looks really good.

Comment

I do only have Thranduil of the statues with the new resin. Well, maybe the Royal Guard has it too, but his face is covered by the helmet. And I am kinda liking the old ones better. And you are right Ithildin, the original Tauriel was very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                                          I borrowed a couple of your photos bill.

I just wonder, when it comes to elf faces, if it wouldn't be better to go back to the old non-resin faces.

I think the paint on Tauriel looks really good.
                                          No worries Ithildin, I'm happy you they were of use to you.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Perhaps, a face with more character to it would be more suited to the resin treatment.

Comment

Working...
                                          X