Treebeard statue! - Master's Collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaffer View Post
    Have received word from Weta - long story short but they are more than happy to provide a full replacement Treebeard for me (and probably all others who have had issues). Great wee start to the day
    This is excellent news for all those that have defective Treebeards. Thanks so much for sharing this with us here on the forum Gaffer.

Weta truly has stepped up and is going all out to make this a true Master piece for all those that have purchased it.

Comment

Same!! They are able to replace.

This is going to cost so much money.
      Save money by getting it right the First time!

Comment

Originally posted by Bslayer8 View Post
        This is going to cost so much money.
        Save money by getting it right the First time!
        Totally agree. I didn't want to say it in my post... but you said it, so I will throw my support behind your statement.

I know how wearisome it gets to hear complaining all the time... no one likes that, myself included. Yet I can't help but sincerely hope against hope that Weta learns something from this whole experience. For a small fraction of the money that this replacement program is going to cost them, they could have invested that into better QC to catch these problems before the statues ship in the first place. I think we would all be ok with an additional production wait time just to not have to go through this.

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20, but Weta didn't exactly get into business yesterday... they should know better by now.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Nobody wants negativity and I'll say it again... defects or not, this statue is mind-blowingly awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
          Replacing just one piece or the other is too risky as the problem could just occur again.
          Can you imagine though? If the batch of replacements have even more defects "START BATCH 3!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffer View Post

Can you imagine though? If the batch of replacements have even more defects "START BATCH 3!"
            The thought did cross my mind but it was too horrible to contemplate any further.

Comment

Weta already went through something like this with the John Howe Smaug statue. The original version had a wood veneer base that had delamination problems and they made an entire new run with the faux marble look. All of those had to be destroyed for replacement and must have cost them a bit to do so.

My question would now be if there are going to be a different run for the replacement of defects, will there be any improvements made and will it decrease the value of the 1st run if the 2nd is better?

Comment

I don't think there will be any "improvements" or difference between them (at least I hope not). From my own defects and what I've read in this thread it seems common issues are things like glue blobs, warped/wobbly bases and chips/breakages. Nothing that needs reworked- just better QC.

Comment

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post
                  Weta already went through something like this with the John Howe Smaug statue. The original version had a wood veneer base that had delamination problems and they made an entire new run with the faux marble look. All of those had to be destroyed for replacement and must have cost them a bit to do so.

My question would now be if there are going to be a different run for the replacement of defects, will there be any improvements made and will it decrease the value of the 1st run if the 2nd is better?
                  Didn't know about the problems with the JH Smaug, but as to your concern, I don't think that's a Pandora's Box that Weta wants to open. If there were going to be appreciable differences and improvements to a second run, then only a complete recall would ever make things fair for everyone and quell any fears. What makes the most sense is to simply take note of what went wrong and apply better QC to the second run. Examples of this would be not allowing any warped bases to get through, and to carefully check the position of the eyes after the glue has dried. This would ensure the problems don't repeat themselves and the second run blends in seamlessly with the first.

Comment

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

I recall seeing shots on Flickr of someone taking to their Smaug the Golden w/ a hammer in the front yard. Dispiriting stuff. Though about a year ago I did see one on eBay US with the original laminate base, so not everyone took the opportunity to replace obviously. [Apologies to anyone here if the below was yours!]

5773564037_a41f82a961_b by L. Todd, on Flickr

An interesting question you pose there. Will some be selling them as the Mk. I Treebeard (emphasising authenticity), or the Mk. II Treebeard (as the structurally superior version)?
                    Last edited by Earl.Haig; 16th May 2019, 11:15.

Comment

Received my treebeard yesterday and assembled him. He looks amazing but I have a couple issues (maybe) that I am not sure if are normal or worth sending a complaint about. First, the base is definitely ‘warped’ or wobbly. It moves a solid quarter to half inch from side to side. Second, his right arm does not slide all the way into the socket (not sure if this is normal or not, but all other pieces seem to slide all the way in so that the exterior ‘bark’ faces are aligned and almost touching. On this connection i can look from all angles and see a good bit of the rectangular piece that slides into the socket. The peg is definitely not the issue, so filing that down wont help. There appears to be too much material in the connection hole on the surface where the peg slides in to allow the arm to go all the way in.

Any thoughts if this is normal or enough to warrant requesting replacement for at least the affected pieces?

0C60C128-AE85-4CF9-8181-0112F34A7F17.jpeg

Comment

It sounds like it’s still just one run of 333 statues, with some replacement bits being made. Nobody will ever know the difference between runs because there will still only be 333 of them, all looking the same!

I think Weta’s response to all of the issues is wonderful, and the best possible outcome. It brings faith and trust in what the Masters range stands for.

I’m guessing Weta’s policy with their Masters statues is that every statue made is flawless, which makes perfect sense considering the definition of the Masters statues on Treebeard’s webpage:

ABOUT THE MASTERS COLLECTION

Designed for discerning collectors, our Masters Collection represents the pinnacle of Weta Workshop craftsmanship.

Embodied in each of these extraordinary statues, you’ll find an exacting attention to detail. Materials of the highest quality. The latest technology meshed with the finest handcraft. A reverence for the source material that can only come from artists who have lived and breathed Middle-earth for over twenty years.

More than collectibles, these are sculptures of fine art.

Comment

Originally posted by seregon13 View Post
                          However I noticed very minor differences compared to the official pics..
                          The photos on the website are pre production, and don't always match what does end up being produced.

But before will someone be able to post pics of the different stems taken out of their bag to check the shape of the branches and leaves.
                          20190516_151644.jpg

- Seems a pink stem is missing, bottom face of the Beard.
                          Any hole to put a stem there ? (see pics of the beard and the white point).

There are only 2 holes in the beard, the one to the front (your white dot) is only pre production.

- On the left arm, the lowest pink stem is at the elbow and so not in the same color tapes order from our copies of the left arm ? (See pic)
                          Possibly adjusted after production.

-On the branch of the back,the one with a lot of tapes, the pink stem is oriented downwards so should be placed from below to the tip of the branch (see photo).
                          Moreover for this branch I have only 6 tapes and not 7....?
                          20190516_152416.jpg

-I would like to see a photo of Merry (right side) to see both the blue and orange stems because on the front photo I got the impression that there is only one stem..
                          20190516_152546.jpg

-On the branch in front of the torso we can see the location of the orange stem same position to the one received but looking closer it seems there is a second stem on the same branch (white point) Is this an optical effect or do you see it too ?
                          20190516_145718.jpg

-The photo of MyFishyFace (see pic) and its description shows us the location of the stem which is also marked on the branch delivered. On Weta pic the stem is not there. missing or was it intended elsewhere in the proto? (front branch/white point for example).
                          Hopefully this is of assistance

Originally posted by Valar View Post
                          I think Weta’s response to all of the issues is wonderful, and the best possible outcome. It brings faith and trust in what the Masters range stands for.

I’m guessing Weta’s policy with their Masters statues is that every statue made is flawless, which makes perfect sense considering the definition of the Masters statues on Treebeard’s webpage:
                          It's definitely been a great response. Hopefully word can get out to those not on forums, as well as those who got their TB from local places than don't have any issues in getting their TB fixed (if any errors).

But definitely the second part. I LOVE my Treebeard, he just stands out (literally) you can't help but miss him. Even my mum was interested... Well she was more curious about how much I spent
                          But I do have to admit, with the errors noticed, it did just seem like a bigger version of their normal statue range. My biggest irks are the seams, more so the left hip, left shoulder and Merry branch. A bit more overlap could've seen them a bit better hidden but it does help that the arms/legs join at joints. So really only noticeable looking closely.
                          Last edited by MrFishyFace; 16th May 2019, 18:45.

Comment

Wow, so much to read in this thread. Thank you everybody for their feedback & experiences. HUGE HELP!!
                            I quickly opened it last night, & repacked as I don't have a space for it.
                            But I guess I need to check it really really carefully.

IMG_8259.JPG
                            IMG_8252.JPG

Comment

So I've been trying to work out how to show off the occasion, and what better way to celebrate my 1000th post with an awesome photo of my 2 largest statues! (Sadly I missed out on Gandalf recently )

20190516_170009.jpg
                              20190516_165858.jpg

Originally posted by SnapJimmy View Post
                              Wow, so much to read in this thread. Thank you everybody for their feedback & experiences. HUGE HELP!!
                              I quickly opened it last night, & repacked as I don't have a space for it.
                              But I guess I need to check it really really carefully.

IMG_8259.JPG
                              IMG_8252.JPG
                              Aww man I'd be gutted getting 313, like a few more and you've got 333
                              Huge congratulations. I hope your Treebeard is safe and free from any harm or defects
                              FYI: It looks like you're missing a pink sticker on the left of his beard

Comment

MrFishyFace, it's my pleasure to be a part of your 1000th post

Comment

MrFishyFace Congrats on your big post! You are most certainly setting the mark very high for the next one with a 1000 posts
                                  May I ask how confident you feel displaying good old TB that way? Seems to me to me that the art box is just a wee bit too small...

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
                                    MrFishyFace Congrats on your big post! You are most certainly setting the mark very high for the next one with a 1000 posts
                                    May I ask how confident you feel displaying good old TB that way? Seems to me to me that the art box is just a wee bit too small...
                                    It's very sturdy though, the box being made out of wood makes it very heavy. I like the idea of displaying all MC statues that way, a display stand that doubles as an extravagant name tag!

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

It's very sturdy though, the box being made out of wood makes it very heavy. I like the idea of displaying all MC statues that way, a display stand that doubles as an extravagant name tag!
                                      I like the idea as well, but it seems this one is just a bit too small and therefore doens't allow us to put some sort of glass dome over TB

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post

I like the idea as well, but it seems this one is just a bit too small and therefore doens't allow us to put some sort of glass dome over TB
                                        Unfortunately it's not large enough to fit a cover. I can understand why it's not. It's bloody heavy as it is I have thought about making a display case, and I'd make it so the box actually slides into it (so essentially like attaching wood to the sides and back). It just doesn't seem right not displaying it with the statue.

But you are right I'll have to come up with something amazing for post #2000. Good thing I have a few years to work that one out

Comment

It's nice to see so many treebeard pics. It's going to be a hell of a while now until I get my replacement treebeard. Once again, congratulations to all lucky owners.

Comment

Working...
                                          X