Master Swordsmith collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Swordsmith collection

well I just wondered if any flames have one and if so could you post some photos.

Sure! I've got Anduril, and it's an AMAZING work of art. Here are some pics! Disclaimer...these are pics that the prior owner sent me before I bought Anduril from him, so I didn't take the pics. But they're pretty good pics and I've kept them in my files!

securedownload-4.jpgsecuredownload-5.jpgsecuredownload-3.jpgsecuredownload-1.jpgsecuredownload-2.jpgsecuredownload-6.jpgsecuredownload-7.jpg

Comment

Phreaky D thank you so much for sharing these. I can imagine that this is one of your most prized possessions.

Every time I see such pictures I wonder if I could stop buying statues and save up for one of these.

Comment

It's magnificent!

Comment

That is some superior craftsmanship.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

That wooden casing is amazing as well, even if it does make me think of a coffin . That sword is a true thing of beauty and craftsmanship. Thanks for posting the pictures Phreaky D.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful piece. Thank you very much for pics, made a lot of people happy I’m sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post
                  That wooden casing is amazing as well, even if it does make me think of a coffin . That sword is a true thing of beauty and craftsmanship. Thanks for posting the pictures Phreaky D.
                  The new wooden boxes are rectangular now. Boromir’s is a rectangle and solid wood. So beautiful but you forget about it when you see the sword.
                  Last edited by Idril; 18 June 2018, 12:27.

Comment

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the pics!

Comment

Wonderful photos, it would be great to get more, I'll start searching when I have time.

Comment

Ok, so the MSC Witch King's Sword premiered at SDCC and as soon as I saw the official pics I felt there was something wrong with it.

It looked plain and unimpressive. I checked google pics of the original sword to see if I was right and lo and behold:

The MC version lacks important details. There is no ornamental, etched tube in the middle of the grip and the pommel also lacks it's vine ornamental etchings.

Weta's pre-order link describes it as "the absolute epitome of craftsmanship" but on first glance it looks like one of those cheap knock offs of UC's swords that you could spot as fakes from a mile away.

I have no idea why Weta would decide to omit such important elements of design on those ultra-limited, several-thousand dollars-each pieces of supposedly maximum authenticity.

This is a bit baffling to me. I hope that the official pics represent some sort of early propotype and not the final piece.
                        Last edited by TheProcrastinator; 19 July 2018, 17:09.

Comment

I do think Peter has had to rush to get something to show. Apparently there will also be a scabbard available but this has not been started as a prototype yet. So early days I feel. I trust Weta and Peter will put out a stunning sword.

Funny that the order page says you can discuss finishes but I believe there is only one finish available on this one. Which makes sense.

Comment

So I've done some more digging and found something interesting.

This is a picture of a screen used prop from behind-the-scenes DVD:

No etchings on the pommel. No ornaments on the grip.

And yet the UC versions as well as every single bit of promotional art from the movies (as well as merchandise of other companies) show the sword with the additional ornaments.

Type in: "Witch King sword" into google images and almost all you get is the version with additional details.

Which begs the question of what exactly is the story with Witch King's sword? Were there two version of Weta's design made for the film and only one used on screen? Did United Cutlery embellish their version of the (why would they feel the need to do that and would they even be allowed by the holder of the licence?) and did all other manufacturers followed suit?

Wonder if anyone from Weta could shed some light on this.

For the record, I personally prefer the version with additional details.
                            Last edited by TheProcrastinator; 19 July 2018, 16:57.

Comment

Previously Kit (United designer) has said there are more than one version. So multiple props of the same piece. It just depends which one Weta gives United as to how theirs will look.

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post

Funny that the order page says you can discuss finishes but I believe there is only one finish available on this one. Which makes sense.
                                I would hope that everyone that ordered this beauty is going for the corroded finish. Seeing it new and unblemished, hot off the Barad-dur anvil doesn't look right to me.

Comment

Darkened and pitted with cruel spells, the savage blade could be wielded with either single or two-handed grip.
                                  Yep. The weathered treated finish would seem to be the easy choice.

However, a pristine version could also be an interesting choice. Does anyone know whether the Witchking had this weapon forged before or after his corruption? There are design elements such as the patterned cross guard that may suggest that this was his weapon prior to corruption and if so, a pristine mirror or satin finish could be justified.

Comment

I have always loved the design of this sword, I find it both brutal and elegant. Seems to have very Gothic influences. So who is ordering one then?

Comment

IMG_7371 by Josh Long, on Flickr

Comment

That Borimir sword... gotta love those signature hollow grinds. Aesthetically pleasing and yet for very functional reasons.

Josh, did you get a chance to speak to the staff about the MSSC line in general?

Comment

Working...
                                        X