Building a Hobbit Hole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building it too last a Hobbit age. Great progress.

Comment

This is truly amazing. So glad you are allowing us to come along on your adventure with you Valar.

Comment

This is turning out most excellent!

Comment

This looks like a lot of fun! I've toyed with the idea of doing the same as you but you have a nice spot picked out. I'm looking forward to more progress. Thanks for sharing.
          Argonath - from the old Shadow and Flame.

Comment

Looks awesome! Are you going to put a little light behind the window as well?

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the kind words of encouragement, some of the work has been quite hard yakka so it’s great fun to be on this forum and have the "Flamer Family" along for the ride! My wife and I love reading all of your posts on here

Beorn, it’s great fun and I really hope you can find a suitable spot if you decide to build your own!

Celaglar yes there will be light from a lantern at the front door as well as from the window… or at least that’s the plan at this stage!

Comment

The front door:

Well, I've decided the colour of the door will be blue! Something similar to the colour on this one:

(but instead of a window, just plain with a doorknob in the centre similar to Sam's house)

Why blue? Green and yellow were close seconds but blue just felt like the most cheerful of the three! I felt that blue would best complement the greenery of the surrounding garden, but any of the three would have looked ok I guess

I started preparing the timber for the door panels, the edges had to be planed to achieve a good fit to one another:

I came back about a week later to continue, but unfortunately in that time the weather had changed and we'd had some rain, which increased the surrounding air humidity. Because I'm using unseasoned timber, the panels had all warped and twisted considerably:

Of course, being (...ahem...) a seasoned hobbit hole builder now (having built an impressive grand total of zero hobbit holes) I took this all in my stride and remained completely calm and collected, as the following live camera footage shows:

Anyway some time later, after a few cups of tea and some extra tinkering/sanding/planing I added some paint with the following result:

One blue door complete!

More soon (ish!)

Comment

Looks brilliant. Can't wait to see more! Would you do commissions for a fellow Aussie in NSW?

Comment

Looking good! And I fully agree on the colour.

Comment

Nice update! Keep them coming.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the warping and twisting, nasty stuff! Ended up looking great though. Love the colour you chose.

Comment

Looks promising ! I love matt colors, good luck.

Comment

Wow! All of your work is looking really good thus far. Your efforts to detail are showing off very nicely through each piece that you're constructing. Looking forward to seeing each element come together!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Hopefully I'll have more soon

Originally posted by TheWhiteHand View Post
                                Looks brilliant. Can't wait to see more! Would you do commissions for a fellow Aussie in NSW?
                                Thanks TWH, I'd love to you never know, maybe I'll move there one day!

Comment

Again, this looks really great. Nice color for the door. Very curious to the end result!

Comment

Valar Any update on this amazing project?

Comment

Ya, I've been wondering the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                                        Valar Any update on this amazing project?
                                        Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                                        Ya, I've been wondering the same thing.

Yes, how time has flown, seems it's been months since the previous hobbity update!

Watch this space, I think we're quite ready for another backyard adventure

Comment

ooooh can't wait!
                                          Mild mannered maniac.

Comment

Working...
                                          X