Gronds Scale Escorts (Finished! Oct. 21)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I wonder if people realize how fortunate we are to have Kyle who can fill gaps that WETA does not fill and do so in a way that is seamless and highly professional and artistic?

    I waitied for GROND for more than a decade and when I finally got it my honest reaction was disappointment. Kyle steps in to help make it all right.

    This is truly amazing.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by gideon View Post
      I wonder if people realize how fortunate we are to have Kyle who can fill gaps that WETA does not fill and do so in a way that is seamless and highly professional and artistic?

      I waitied for GROND for more than a decade and when I finally got it my honest reaction was disappointment. Kyle steps in to help make it all right.

      This is truly amazing.
      We are very fortunate indeed!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gideon View Post
        I wonder if people realize how fortunate we are to have Kyle who can fill gaps that WETA does not fill and do so in a way that is seamless and highly professional and artistic?

        I waitied for GROND for more than a decade and when I finally got it my honest reaction was disappointment. Kyle steps in to help make it all right.

        This is truly amazing.
        Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

        We are very fortunate indeed!



        You have that backwards though, I am the fortunate one. Without everyone here, I wouldn't be able to do this, and believe me, I want to do this. No fictional world has ever grabbed me like Middle Earth, and I absolutely love the design work for the movies. Before I even called myself a sculptor, or knew that is what I wanted to do, I was making statues from the movies out of various materials. Now that I can share that passion with others of like mind, I am the fortunate one!

        Comment


        • Amazing as always, Kyle!! You are indeed THE MAN!!!!!!!

          Comment


          • Quick little update. I am hoping to share the first three sculpted Trolls and two Great Beasts this week! Then the plan is to cast them, and once the molds are finished, I will cut up the Trolls and Great Beasts, and reassemble them to make the other side (simplistic explanation, will still be a bit of work). That way, they should all have different poses, and this project won't take all year to finish!

            Originally posted by Samwise The Brave View Post
            Amazing as always, Kyle!! You are indeed THE MAN!!!!!!!
            Thank you so much!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              Quick little update. I am hoping to share the first three sculpted Trolls and two Great Beasts this week! Then the plan is to cast them, and once the molds are finished, I will cut up the Trolls and Great Beasts, and reassemble them to make the other side (simplistic explanation, will still be a bit of work). That way, they should all have different poses, and this project won't take all year to finish!



              Thank you so much!
              Sounds great Kyle. Cannot wait for this as my Grond has been rather lonely.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                Quick little update. I am hoping to share the first three sculpted Trolls and two Great Beasts this week! Then the plan is to cast them, and once the molds are finished, I will cut up the Trolls and Great Beasts, and reassemble them to make the other side (simplistic explanation, will still be a bit of work). That way, they should all have different poses, and this project won't take all year to finish!

                Comment


                • Hey Kyle, don't forget to make the matching bases so we can double these as nice chess pieces (lol)! Ok, kidding aside, these are looking great!
                  Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

                  Comment


                  • It is incredible, no words

                    Comment


                    • Hey everyone, sorry for the delay, things (life) got busier than I had expected for the last few weeks. Add on top of that, ordering supplies that didn't show up when they should have, and yeah, not as much progress on this project as I would have liked. That is all in the past now, I have half of the trolls and great beasts sculpted, and they are waiting to be cut out of their molds, just as soon as some late supplies arrive (today hopefully!). Once I get a good resin cast, I will get to work on the other half.

                      I am also starting to figure out how to do the harness system for the great beasts, I am looking for a place to get the type of chain needed. My last hurdle is to figure out how to make the chain look like it is attached to Grond, as there isn't a place for it, and I don't want to damage Grond in any way. The trick is to make the chains look tight, like they are being pulled.

                      Originally posted by Radagaster View Post
                      Hey Kyle, don't forget to make the matching bases so we can double these as nice chess pieces (lol)! Ok, kidding aside, these are looking great!
                      Good idea!

                      Originally posted by AcroWorkshop View Post
                      It is incredible, no words
                      Thank you so much!

                      Comment


                      • Thanks for the info Kyle. Good to have you back. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some pics. Best of luck with the chains issue.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                          Hey everyone, sorry for the delay, things (life) got busier than I had expected for the last few weeks. Add on top of that, ordering supplies that didn't show up when they should have, and yeah, not as much progress on this project as I would have liked. That is all in the past now, I have half of the trolls and great beasts sculpted, and they are waiting to be cut out of their molds, just as soon as some late supplies arrive (today hopefully!). Once I get a good resin cast, I will get to work on the other half.

                          I am also starting to figure out how to do the harness system for the great beasts, I am looking for a place to get the type of chain needed. My last hurdle is to figure out how to make the chain look like it is attached to Grond, as there isn't a place for it, and I don't want to damage Grond in any way. The trick is to make the chains look tight, like they are being pulled.



                          Good idea!



                          Thank you so much!
                          Fantastic!!!!! I cannot wait until you make my Grond complete.

                          Comment


                          • I assumed Weta made some rings where the chains were supposed to go. Did they really leave those out? If they did, doesn't that mean Grond isn't screen accurate?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bill59 View Post
                              Thanks for the info Kyle. Good to have you back. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some pics. Best of luck with the chains issue.
                              Thanks, glad to be back! Honestly, the more I get through this project, the more excited I am, if I can get the paint right, I really think it will add to the Grond piece!

                              Originally posted by gideon View Post

                              Fantastic!!!!! I cannot wait until you make my Grond complete.

                              Neither can I!
                              Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
                              I assumed Weta made some rings where the chains were supposed to go. Did they really leave those out? If they did, doesn't that mean Grond isn't screen accurate?
                              Yeah, they are missing, which is kind of surprising, since they added the rings to the back of Grond where the ropes attach for the Trolls, to swing it.

                              Comment


                              • Thanks Kyle. Well for tight chains that don’t attach - could you just glue a chain link? So maybe dip it in superglue and hang it vertical till dry? Or am I being simplistic about it?

                                Comment


                                • Great news Kyle. No worries here, it will be worth the wait.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Idril View Post
                                    Thanks Kyle. Well for tight chains that don’t attach - could you just glue a chain link? So maybe dip it in superglue and hang it vertical till dry? Or am I being simplistic about it?
                                    That is something I have thought about, I just don't know how strong it would end up being, the glue would probably end up brittle and break easy, but it is definitely worth trying. Since the chain that attaches to Grond is actually three chains, one above the other, I was thinking if I could make the bottom chain solid, it could possibly support the two chains above it. Maybe some strong wire threaded through the chain and then glue, it would stand out a bit from the other chain, but that would be a small price worth paying.

                                    Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                                    Great news Kyle. No worries here, it will be worth the wait.
                                    Thanks for the patience, I honestly don't think I could do this if I had a deadline. Especially projects like this, it seemed really easy and straightforward, but as I get further in, unexpected issues pop up.

                                    Comment


                                    • Make tiny cigarettes for the Great Beasts and Trolls then the chain can be left slack as they will appear to be on a smoke break

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                                        Make tiny cigarettes for the Great Beasts and Trolls then the chain can be left slack as they will appear to be on a smoke break
                                        Problem solved!

                                        Comment


                                        • hmmmm Quite the conundrum!

                                          The way I see it there are only two solutions, either make the rings where the chains will be attached and let everyone decide if they want to glue it to their Grond environment themselves or not. Or... leave them out completely altogether.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X