Beacon of Minas Tirith (Couple new pictures - August 25th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice update, Kyle! Looking forward to seeing your painted up prototype!

Comment

So it can't be long before we see the finished model, I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

Another quick update, the main mold is finished up and I did the first test casting, it turned out great (that is not to say there aren't things that I can do better on next time)! Over the next few days I will be finishing up all of the little molds and then after that (assuming they all work) it is on to painting! Here is a not very good picture of the first casting. Getting close now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	236779

Originally posted by TMcLim View Post
        Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the first pieces out of the mold.
        Ask and ye shall receive! (Only this once)

Originally posted by crazytrain View Post
        Very interested in learning more about the new technique
        So basically for a mold like this I would normally use a glove mold (as it sounds, you demold it like taking off a glove) where you build up the layers of silicone over some time (a few days to a week in my experience), then you build the mother mold around that and you are finished. It works great for larger molds but I found this type of silicone degraded much to fast. There is another type of silicone that is used for block molds that seems to last much longer, problem is, if you were to make a block mold out of even the above piece, it would take a lot of silicon (and be very heavy). So what I did was cover the piece I was casting in .5" of clay, then built the mother mold around it, removed the mother mold and clay, repositioned the mother mold so that now with the clay missing there was a .5" gap between the mother mold and piece I was casting, then poured in the silicone. So far it seems to have worked out, but only time will tell if it is a better technique!

Originally posted by Levidas View Post
        Kyle thanks for the update, very much looking forward to see some pictures of the first casts! Maybe even a painted one, who knows...
        Getting very close to painted images (assuming the painting doesn't give me too much of a problem)!

Originally posted by FlyAndFight View Post
        Nice update, Kyle! Looking forward to seeing your painted up prototype!
        Soon!

Originally posted by Plat View Post
        So it can't be long before we see the finished model, I'm really looking forward to it.
        So am I, I always love being able to show off the first finished piece!

Comment

This looks awesome Kyle! Can't wait to see how you paint this. Excellent work!
          Argonath - from the old Shadow and Flame.

Comment

Looking great so far Kyle. Great job on the stone work. The paint job will really bring it to life. Well done sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              So basically for a mold like this I would normally use a glove mold (as it sounds, you demold it like taking off a glove) where you build up the layers of silicone over some time (a few days to a week in my experience), then you build the mother mold around that and you are finished. It works great for larger molds but I found this type of silicone degraded much to fast. There is another type of silicone that is used for block molds that seems to last much longer, problem is, if you were to make a block mold out of even the above piece, it would take a lot of silicon (and be very heavy). So what I did was cover the piece I was casting in .5" of clay, then built the mother mold around it, removed the mother mold and clay, repositioned the mother mold so that now with the clay missing there was a .5" gap between the mother mold and piece I was casting, then poured in the silicone. So far it seems to have worked out, but only time will tell if it is a better technique!
              This type of mold is called "matrix mold" and there a few ways to go about it, one just like you did. Some of the newer ways of doing it I have seen with having the master being modeled and 3D printed, you can also design the "mother mold" and print it as well, then all you need to do is pour in the silicone and cover up all the little vent holes. Can save you a bunch of time in the process as well as calculating the perfect amount of silicone needed.

Glad everything has worked out and look forward to the painted piece!
              https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Thanks for the info Kyle (and N2D )

Comment

Woohoo! This is going to look great next to MT.

Comment

Wow you are very talented! With pippin and two Gondor soldiers it would be PERFECTION!!!

Comment

Add me to the list as well.

Comment

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	236779

N I C E

Comment

Great work Kyle! This is really impressive.

Comment

All of the little molds are finished and tomorrow I hope to do the first test castings, maybe even get everything primed for painting! And now that the painting is soon to begin, I had a question, what color should I try and replicate, the film version (grey stone) or Weta's environment (more tan/brownish stone)? Something I had forgotten to mention before, the white piece that I just cast was made up of four pieces, and I am really happy with how they came together, and with the aid of modeling putty, it is really hard to see where!

Originally posted by Beorn View Post
                            This looks awesome Kyle! Can't wait to see how you paint this. Excellent work!
                            Thank you so much!

Originally posted by bill59 View Post
                            Looking great so far Kyle. Great job on the stone work. The paint job will really bring it to life. Well done sir.
                            Yeah, I really hope so!

Thanks Bill!

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

This type of mold is called "matrix mold" and there a few ways to go about it, one just like you did. Some of the newer ways of doing it I have seen with having the master being modeled and 3D printed, you can also design the "mother mold" and print it as well, then all you need to do is pour in the silicone and cover up all the little vent holes. Can save you a bunch of time in the process as well as calculating the perfect amount of silicone needed.

Glad everything has worked out and look forward to the painted piece!
                            Thanks for the info N2, I had no clue what this type of mold was called! That is a pretty genius idea, printing out the mother mold as well, there are some resins for the printer that are meant for much thicker layers. I might have to try that out at some point!

Thanks for the info Kyle (and N2D )
                            No problem!

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                            Woohoo! This is going to look great next to MT.
                            Thanks Ith, what are your thoughts on the paint color (as mentioned above)?

Originally posted by Mirrorinthemirror View Post
                            Wow you are very talented! With pippin and two Gondor soldiers it would be PERFECTION!!!
                            Thank you so much!

I had originally planned on including a Pippin, but once I really sorted out the scale, he would have been too noticeable for my liking.

Originally posted by illialid View Post
                            Add me to the list as well.
                            Done!

Originally posted by Clintwood View Post

N I C E
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by Darkcorner View Post
                            Great work Kyle! This is really impressive.
                            Thank you so much!

Comment

Thanks Ith, what are your thoughts on the paint color (as mentioned above)?

Ok, I went back and forth on this. My first reaction was to say to match the same color of Wetas MT environment but then after watching the film I think that it should be painted the darker gray color that we see in the movie. If you watch when Gandalf and Pippen get to the top of the hill and see MT for the first time, the city looks like the color of Wetas MT but as you look farther up on the mountain to where the beacon is located it is definitely a darker color stone.

So my choice would be for the darker gray we see in the film but I will take either color that you ultimacy decide to go with.

Comment

Is the darker stone just a result of it being in the shade?
                                argonathfbanner by

Comment

Did the first test casting with the small pieces and everything turned out pretty well. I can foresee having more failed castings with the small molds than I am used to, but other than taking more time, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Anyway, here is a photo of all of the pieces assembled and ready to be primed (as separate pieces of course)! I will begin painting tomorrow and hope it will only be a few days to figure that out!

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	237175

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Ok, I went back and forth on this. My first reaction was to say to match the same color of Wetas MT environment but then after watching the film I think that it should be painted the darker gray color that we see in the movie. If you watch when Gandalf and Pippen get to the top of the hill and see MT for the first time, the city looks like the color of Wetas MT but as you look farther up on the mountain to where the beacon is located it is definitely a darker color stone.

So my choice would be for the darker gray we see in the film but I will take either color that you ultimacy decide to go with.
                                  Yeah, I think I will try and stick closer to the movie colors, maybe a touch of tan for the natural rock, we will see (and very soon)!

Comment

Can't wait to see some paint on it!
                                    argonathfbanner by

Comment

Looking great so far

Comment

Originally posted by TMcLim View Post
                                        Can't wait to see some paint on it!
                                        Very very soon, possibly even tomorrow (if I get the colors right on the first try)!

Looking great so far
                                        Thanks!

Comment

Looks great Kyle. Best of luck with the filling, priming and painting. I hope it all goes well for you.

p.s. It looks great even in just the one colour.

Comment

Working...
                                          X