Indy's Guthwine?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
    I’m pretty sure the scabbard only has fullers on one side of it. So I assume the inside of it is I’ll wager flat. Though I don’t own one so hopefully someone with one will let us know.
    I find that puzzling. Are you sure? The blade has fullers on both sides, so why not the scabbard? They sure took enough time with it to go and miss something that obvious. Main criticism of the scabbard I've heard is that the leather floats over the fuller grooves instead of being glued down.

    Comment


      Click image for larger version

Name:	43F5BACD-AE36-49EF-BBCC-2415D358316D.png
Views:	138
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	213523
      Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

      I find that puzzling. Are you sure? The blade has fullers on both sides, so why not the scabbard? They sure took enough time with it to go and miss something that obvious. Main criticism of the scabbard I've heard is that the leather floats over the fuller grooves instead of being glued down.
      This is the back side from what someone else took a pic of on Facebook. Maybe there’s grooves in there I don’t see but it’s hard to tell with the giant seem.



      Attached Files

      Comment


        Thanks for the pic. Either my eyes are trying hard to see something that's not actually there, but I think that I do detect a faint depression to either side of the ginormous seam which, coupled with the fact the leather was not glued down to the fullers, raises that whole side and makes them even harder to notice.

        Either way, that looks awful. I know that's the side that would face the wall, but my desire to own this scabbard is fading fast with all the flaws I keep seeing.

        Comment


          Hate to set you straight Val, but.....

          what you see is the edges of the leather that make the seam. If you don’t believe me - have a look at the inside of a seam on say, a dress from your wife’s closet - or your office/dress trousers side seam.

          you can really tell by looking at the area around the left turn in the seam at the top. I can’t express how much that alone annoys me.
          Last edited by Idril; 28 March 2021, 01:11.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Idril View Post
            Hate to set you straight Val, but.....

            what you see is the edges of the leather that make the seam. If you don’t believe me - have a look at the inside of a seam on say, a dress from your wife’s closet - or your office/dress trousers side seam.

            you can really tell by looking at the area around the left turn in the seam at the top. I can express how much that alone annoys me.
            You don't have to convince me, I totally see it now. I completely forgot that seams form a second a layer of material that folds under, creating the raised portion down the length of seam line. There could still be fullers under there but I seriously doubt it now. Someone that has the scabbard can easily clear this up by running their fingers over that part and feel for the grooves.

            I'm sorry to say, but between the sword and the scabbard, this project is looking like a big disappointment to me, or at least that's how I would have felt after waiting so long for something, only to have it turn out this way.

            Comment


              I can confirm the fullers are only on the front side of the scabbard. The reverse side is indeed flat.

              Comment


                Here are some pictures of the scabbard as requested.


                Click image for larger version

Name:	ACtC-3fZUDp1Zrj2DdYSlvkTzFou3H9RQJS3W_8WS9ziWlZ9NLsSWG6jd7HhpcbhuEh5oS-_G7gpMPcTSDmMTs9_ihErya2h6sT0M2AhGC1Robx9-mYf8QQkxFZoY_H1nsf4JkEaEdHUQN25UIOHDntcnC-0=w703-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	213572

                Click image for larger version

Name:	ACtC-3eGJ-nGoQr45ud_GxYJu--qqerJW8Q0kFc6A3-TCmLNSP5cd1kk3OucWDmotunhuJ8K-KB6tvWdSBRno1ANnAja_cp1FWenfm0oPXYFWYMX-DkMyW0kfHrmOD0SEgwFl_hS46h-TNXIL5RpdaK2t5Rl=w703-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	213573

                Click image for larger version

Name:	ACtC-3fIE8GQG7axKqB0DYKaE5hb35xlDNiI26Tg0SPY49GXK8e1R3FiXN0lrsiNf03urrK4pn7CJX_dh5ewfljcOiJJ48gllpByVvR6EAUG4CfDle4woVCzZ14tNe4SKekJTa_eAwGcpVEflAGhDmIqXQwv=w703-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	213574

                Click image for larger version

Name:	ACtC-3fefoO87drWf2_ki7rg3rl8XzY4utnIbchMsHs1OCL_8oLRiF0nzEPT7SEGCfxxJmElDWdpVv7fytDhBZxWN8HeFqPEMy_9kHNDT9h96kTxfpoPuhvI6z2kCUOj_mNSCpiYHN4R19dgahDlgSmfjjkM=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	213575

                Comment


                  Well for all that - your scabbard looks pretty good Herendil.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Idril View Post
                    Well for all that - your scabbard looks pretty good Herendil.
                    Hmmmm....ok, but that seam isn't even pretending to be straight. Not even close.

                    I'm sorry, I don't care that you won't see that side much if you hang it on a wall. You expect a minimal level of decent craftsmanship, and that includes at least an attempt at fullers on the reverse, and a seam that doesn't mimick the curvature of the Earth as seen from the ISS. That's well past beyond my accepted level of shoddyness and if this is what one is taking a chance on, then I'm no longer interested in Indy offering these on their own.

                    Comment


                      My first sword had very bad fullers and a bladd tip that was bend a bit. I reached out to Indy and I received a replacement sword that's perfect this time. The scabbard is quite nice.
                      yes the scabbard only had fullers on the front but for 334€ having the sword, scabbard, plaque, shipping and no custom charges, I'm happy with the set.
                      now just waiting for UC's release so I can complete the UC set

                      Comment


                        I also reached out to Indy, and I was also promised a replacement sword. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't say if I'm happy or not just yet. :-)

                        But, I liked the sword (apart from the uneven fullers, bent tip and broken brass hilt).
                        I think the fact that it looks a little worn and the details are not as pristine as UC's swords are is more true to what a sword from "this age" would look like.
                        I will probably get the UC sword as well, you could think of them as the UC's version is a movie sword replica and Indy's version is his version of what it would have looked in the real world.

                        If you look at real wiking swords the details are never as precise as the UC swords, so Indy's version is in my opinion more accurate to what the "real" sword would look like.

                        So now we can have the best of two worlds thanks to Indy and United Cutlery.
                        Last edited by Herendil; 30 March 2021, 14:15.

                        Comment


                          I just received mine. I'm pretty happy with it. Is it perfect? No. But at the time of ordering it, UC wasn't even considering making one. I stuck it out until the end hoping it would be a good product. I will probably get the UC one also since I'm guessing the color of the grip will match Theoden's and Eowyn's swords. Indy's color is off.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Ruthless View Post
                            My first sword had very bad fullers and a bladd tip that was bend a bit. I reached out to Indy and I received a replacement sword that's perfect this time. The scabbard is quite nice.
                            yes the scabbard only had fullers on the front but for 334€ having the sword, scabbard, plaque, shipping and no custom charges, I'm happy with the set.
                            now just waiting for UC's release so I can complete the UC set
                            For those of you getting replacement swords:
                            1) What are you requested to do with the previous one?
                            2) What email did you use to request?

                            The reason I ask is the email I sent only replied back with giving me a $50 discount for the bent tip and missing mount hooks.
                            Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Radagaster View Post

                              For those of you getting replacement swords:
                              1) What are you requested to do with the previous one?
                              2) What email did you use to request?

                              The reason I ask is the email I sent only replied back with giving me a $50 discount for the bent tip and missing mount hooks.
                              Indy suggested this one on the RPF forum : [email protected]

                              They didn't tell me anything about the first sword I received so I'm just keeping it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X